In April 2018, Symantec launched a new Entitlement Management Capability called the Account Based Entitlement View (ABEV) located within the ‘My Products’ tab in MySymantec.
Customers can now see all their entitlements listed under the account that they were purchased as well as gaining access to their software and licence keys without having to register any serial numbers.
Resellers & Partners can now see all entitlements that they resold to their end customers enabling more on time renewals.
Effective November 18th, 2018, Symantec will introduce the Network Protection Licensing Portal (NPLP) Capabilities of Swap, Add-Ons and Upgrade into the ABEV allowing customers/partners to carry out these tasks directly within the ABEV without the need to visit the legacy NPLP portal.
These capabilities will be available in the product specific pages of the individual Network Protection entitlements. We are rolling this feature out to all our customers and partners/resellers in waves and if your account has been enabled then you will see the new view which we hope you enjoy and find useful.
The Customer Purchase Cycle
Customers purchase Symantec products typically via the channel which Symantec fulfills by sending a licence key and a welcome letter containing instructions for accessing the appropriate portals e.g. Network Protection Licensing Portal and/or Symantec Licensing Portal.
The order data is also sent to the MySymantec platform which uses it to drive the ABEV for all the relevant contacts on the order.
Network Protection Licensing Tasks on the ABEV Product Details Page
For a contact enabled with this new feature, the NPLP capabilities are displayed as tabs at the bottom of the ABEV product details page of a Network Protection entitlement.
Customers wishing to carry out a licensing task for an NPLP entitlement can simply select that entitlement within the main entitlement table on the ABEV landing page to show the product details page as shown below:
The product details page provides additional information about the entitlement as well as displaying the NPLP capabilities which include:
- Download Software - enables the user to download the software for this appliance to the local machine
- Download Licence - enables the user to download the licence key for this appliance to the local machine
- Software Add-Ons – enables the user to link the current selected appliance to other Add-On components
- Upgrade – enables the user to carry out an upgrade for the selected appliance
- Swap – enables the user to carry out a swap i.e. if this chosen appliance is defective then replace it with another suitable device.
Download Software Tab
Prior to November, the ‘Download Software’ tab contains a button that takes the user to the legacy software download portal in a separate browser window leading to a disjointed user experience. The November release will now display the download capability within the product details tab itself as shown below:
The file selection and download experience is identical to that of the legacy software download portal reducing the need to learn any new procedures.
The user selects either the ‘Recommended Files’ or the ‘Archive’ tab, then selects the required release before going onto the file download section. Here the user can select one or more files to download, use the file filter control to see specific files, review and accept the EULA before clicking the ‘Download Selected Files’ button to initiate the download process as shown below:
Download Licence Tab
Prior to November, the ‘Download Licence’ tab contains a ’Generate New Key’ button that takes the user to the legacy Network Protection Licensing Portal in a separate browser. The November release will allow the user to download the licence file (and supply a passphrase if required) within the ABEV:
Software Add-Ons Tab
The Software Add-Ons tab will display all existing Add-Ons linked to this appliance in a table as shown below:
A user can create a link to additional Add-Ons by clicking the ‘Add On’ button that will display the following page:
The page displays the following:
- A source Add-Ons table which lists all the current Add-Ons to which this appliance can be linked with.
- A destination Add-Ons table that lists all Add-Ons that are currently associated to this appliance. Existing Add-Ons are greyed out and cannot be moved (as shown)
- A set of selection buttons allow the admin to select and move Add-Ons between both tables
- A search control for the source Add-Ons table that allows the user to locate the Add-On by serial number, product description or Activation Code as shown below:
The Upgrade tab will allow the user to perform an upgrade of the appliance from the product details page as shown below:
The user must check the ‘Accept EULA’ box before the Upgrade button is enabled to complete the process.
If there is no upgrade available, then a warning message is displayed when the Upgrade tab is selected as shown below:
The Swap tab will display a Swap button if the user is authorized to perform a swap of the appliance. When clicked, this button will display a table of suitable replacement appliances as shown below:
The table comprises of the following elements:
- A search control allowing the user to search the table
- A list of all suitable replacement appliances – only appliances with no entitlements or expired entitlement will be displayed. The user can only select one appliance from this list
- A hyperlink to the EULA
- An Accept EULA checkbox – this must be selected in order to perform the Swap
- Submit/Cancel buttons - the Submit button is only enabled after the user has selected the Accept EULA checkbox
Once the Swap operation is complete the user can then go to the product specific page of the replacement appliance to download the new licence key for activation.
If there is no Swap available, then a warning message is displayed when the Swap tab is selected as shown below:
For more details on the ABEV changes to ‘My Products’ tab, please refer to the MySymantec training link https://support.symantec.com/en_US/quick-links/online-portal-resources.html#opr_video