On occassion, it may be necessary to install the NS7 agent for Unix, Linux and Macintosh using the native package files rather than the aex-bootstrap binary. This article describes how to accomplish this.
There are two files attached.
If you don't want to use the script, you can manually run each command found in the script or create your own script. It's a simple script in that it downloads the native package files using wget and runs pre-existing scripts that are part of that installation package. If you do not have or use 'wget', you can substitute any other method to copy the files to the client computer, then run the agent-upgrade script, as shown in the sample script.
Note that the paths used in the script to download the installation package will need to be modified for each platform. On the NS itself, the default path is: \program files\altiris\notification server\nscap\bin\UNIX\Agent\'. Within this directory are unique packages for each Unix, Linux and Macintosh platform. Note that IIS maps '<servername>/Altiris/NS' to \program files\altiris\notification server'.
The order of execution is important. For example, the Software Management Framework agent is dependent on the Inventory rule agent.
The aex-agent-install-config.xml.txt is a sample only. You will need to create your own later.
- Copy the manual_agent_install.sh.txt file to an empty, temporary directory on the suse/linux client.
Run "mv manual_agent_install.sh.txt manual_agent_install.sh' to rename the file.
- Use any appropriate method to modify the NS server name in the wget statements in the script.
Run 'chmod 755 manual_agent_install.sh' to make the script executable.
Create a copy of an .aex-agent-install-config.xml file from your own system. In the console, browse to:
- Settings, All Settings, Agents/Plug-ins, Altiris Agent, Settings, Altiris Agent Install.
- Click on the 'Install Altiris Agent for UNIX, Linux and Mac' tab.
- If no entries exist in the computer list, add one (even a dummy ip address will suffice for this purpose).
- Highlight an entry in the list of computers.
- Click on the 'Installation settings' button. A new window will appear.
- Click on the 'Install XML' tab.
- Click on the 'Save as file...' button and save the file.
- Copy the file to the same empty, temporary directory on the suse/linux client. Be sure it preserves the recommended name including the initial '.'. This file must have read permissions on the client.
Run "./manual_agent_install.sh". The agent should install normally.
* The .aex-agent-install-config.xml file is important as support was not successful in configuring the ctagent to communicate with the proper NS server after installation. It 'may' be possible to install the aex-nsclt agent (the NS agent itself), then configure the NS agent to communicate with the proper NS, then install the remaining subagents. This article will be updated when support completes additional testing scenarios.
Rate this Article