Helpdesk 6.0 incidents have a default file attachment limit of 4 MB (4096 KB) that is imposed by .NET. This limit is defined in the following file, in the maxRequestLength line:
The defaults are:
Warnings - please read before continuing
1. While it's possible to change the limit by modifying the machine.config file referenced above, Symantec Technical Support strongly recommends against this procedure because this will change the global default for all .NET applications on the server (the Altiris Notification Server and all of its solutions, for example). This can result in unexpected, critical issues.
2. Symantec Technical Support is unable to assist in implementing or troubleshooting these procedures. Use these at your own risk. If issues occur, the only solution would be to change the maxRequestLength back to its default of 4096.
The recommended procedure is to add an httpRuntime entry to the web.config file used by Helpdesk, which will then only override the value for Helpdesk. As an example, the following instructions will increase the default post back size up to 8 MB (8192 KB):
- On the Notification Server that Helpdesk is installed on, navigate to the <Altiris_installation_drive>:\Program Files\Altiris\Helpdesk\AeXHD folder.
- Locate and edit the Web.config file using Notepad.
- Find the following line of code:
<globalization requestEncoding="utf-8" responseEncoding="utf-8"/>
And then locate the following line of code a few lines down:
- The following line of code should be added somewhere between the lines of code found in step 3:
- Save and close the file.
- From the Windows Start button, click on Run.
- Type iisreset in the Open field.
- Click on the OK button. The change in attachment size is now in effect. Note: This does not retroactively change file attachments that have previously been already saved in incidents but only new attachments.