This article details the steps to encrypt files with PGP Zip with an ASCII output (also known as ASCII armored file).
When needled, PGP Zip allows you to encrypt a file as a binary file. When the file is encrypted the file is output as a text file. Saving the file as ASCII text increases the size of the encrypted file by about 30%.
To encrypt a file with an ASCII output
- Browse to the file or folder containing the desired file(s).
- Right-click the file then select PGP Desktop > Add "Doc Name" to new PGP Zip. The PGP Zip Assistant is displayed.
- Below the file window, click the PGP Zip Advanced Options button.
- Select Output Text and click OK.
- Complete the PGP Zip Assistant to encrypt the files.
Note: If needed, the box Remember these settings next time can be selected. The next time PGP Zip or Secure files will be used, the output will be in ASCII armored.