How do I manually remove licenses without the license removal tool?
Note: In general, the purpose of this article is to guide a user through uninstalling a license for a product that is not working correctly, where the license is suspected to be the issue, and then re-installing the license. The process for this is to uninstall the license of the product in question. There may be more the one license for the specific product. If so, remove any "duplicate" licenses found. Then, re-install the license. This should refresh the license certificate and its count and when it expires successfully.
Warning: Before removing any Altiris license, if the license is to be re-installed, first ensure that the license file is available. If you are unsure where this is, as it could be anywhere on the server or elsewhere (for example, C:\Licenses or the desktop), you may need to contact your Sales Representative or Symantec Licensing to obtain a replacement license file.
For Notification Server 6, to manually remove the licenses, follow these steps:
- Click Start > Run. Enter "MMC" and click OK.
Once the MMC Console window opens, click File > Add/Remove Snap-in.
The Add/Remove Snap-in window opens. Click the Add button.
The Add Standalone Snap-in window opens. Click Certificates and Add.
The Certificates snap-in window opens. Click Computer account and click Next.
The Select Computer window opens. Click Local computer (the computer the console is running on) and click Finish.
In the Add Standalone Snap-in window. Click Close.
In the Console window under Console Root, expand the Certificates (Local Computer) item, click Altiris Licensing (for NS 6.0 SP3) or Computer Edge Licensing (for NS 6.0 SP2 and before) > Certificates.
Remove the Certificates. Note the following:
- If you DON'T have Altiris Deployment Solution installed, you can select all the certificates and delete them by right-clicking.
- If you DO have Altiris Deployment Solution installed and don't want to have to reinstall those licenses, you will need to click on each certificate to determine if it is part of Deployment Solution and not select those certificates to delete.
- To see which Altiris Solution a certificate is for, double-click the certificate, click the details tab, then select the 3rd line from the bottom of the top pane. The bottom pane will then display the Altiris Solution that the certificate is for.
After deleting the license certificates, go to the Altiris Console's Licensing page (Altiris Console > Configuration > Licensing). In the License Status tab, click the Refresh button. The licenses will be removed from the page.
If you remove all license certificates in this window, it will remove all licensing from the Notification Server similar to the way the license removal tool did. If you do not need to remove everything, you can find a specific license that will need to be removed by opening each license certificate and viewing the details (see step 9, bullet 3, above).
Note: When the licenses have been removed from the Microsoft Certificate Store, you will need to refresh the licensing page within the Notification Server for the results to show.
For Symantec Management Platform 7, to manually remove the licenses, follow these steps:
- On the Symantec Management Platform server, navigate using Windows Explorer to the <Altiris_installation_drive>:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\Bin\Tools folder.
- Run the file RemoveLicense.exe.
- Find and click on the license to remove.
- Click on the Remove button.
Reapplying Altiris Licenses:
For Notification Server 6, after removing the licenses, to reapply them do the following:
- Go to the Altiris Console's Licensing page (Altiris Console > Configuration > Licensing) and click the Install License tab.
- Click the Path to License Folder option.
- Browse to the folder where the Altiris licenses are kept and click OK.
- The licenses will be applied.
After applying the license certificates, go to the Altiris Console's Licensing page (Altiris Console > Configuration > Licensing).
In the License Status tab, click Refresh. (The 'Refresh' button will run the Scheduled Task that will update the LicenseInUse table and refresh that table).
The licenses will be displayed on the page.
For Symantec Management Platform 7, after removing the licenses, to reapply them do the following:
- On the Symantec Management Platform server, in Symantec Installation Manager, click on Add/Update Licenses.
- Click on the Install licenses button to find and select the license and then click on the Open button.
- Scroll through the license list, and then verify that the new license count and expiration date is correct for the specified solution.