How can I Deploy a Task Server(s)?
Deploying Task Servers
Task Servers let you distribute your jobs and tasks to different computers on your network where Altiris Agents can run the jobs and tasks. Distributing jobs and tasks reduces the load on the Notification Server and reduces network traffic because the Altiris Agent accesses the closest Task Server to it for job and task downloads.
Each Notification Server becomes a Task Server when Altiris Task Server is installed. You can then deploy more Task Servers as needed.
If the Notification Server manages 500 or less client computers, the Task Server on the Notification Server can manage your jobs and tasks without significantly affecting performance. If the Notification Server manages more than 500 client computers, we recommend deploying more Task Servers.
Task Servers can be on the same computers as Package Servers.
For more details of the Task Server 6.0 Requirements, see Article ID: 28374 "Task Server 6.0 Requirements"
To deploy Task Servers
Note: Remember that all the locations in the Altiris Console refers to the Altiris Console 6.5 interface.
1. Add one or more computers that you want to become Task Servers to the Task Servers collection.
Note: You can use other collections if you want. However, the computers that get added to the Task Servers collection are automatically approved.
2. In the Configuration view, select Task Server Rollout > Task Server Install.
3. Select the collection from step 1, enable the policy, and then click Apply.
The next time the computers in the collection update their configuration, they will download and install the Task Server package.
Note: All Task Servers that get deployed using the Task Servers collection in the Task Server Install policy automatically become
approved Task Servers.
Manually Deploying Task Servers
The .MSI used to deploy Task Servers can be accessed and used manually. However, we recommend using the Task Server Install policy to deploy Task Servers automatically.
To manually deploy Task Servers
1. From the console, navigate to Install Path\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\Bin\Win32\X86\Client Task Management\Server Package.
2. Run TaskServerSetup.msi on the computer that you want to become a Task Server.
Note: If you manually deploy a Task Server, it needs to be added to the Approved Task Servers collection before it can be used.
Approving Task Servers
Task Servers must be approved before they can be used. This prevents outside sources from creating an unauthorized Task Server and gaining access to the Notification Database.
Task Servers must be added to one of the following collections to be approved Task Servers:
To use the Task Servers collection to deploy and approve Task Servers
1. Assign to the Task Servers collection the computers that you want to deploy the Task Server agents to.
2. Select Task Server Rollout > Task Server Install.
3. In the right pane, in the Applies to collections field, select the Task Servers collection.
4. Select Enable.
5. Click Apply.
All Task Servers that are added to the Task Servers collection automatically become approved.
To use the Approved Task Servers collection to approve Task Servers
1. Assign Task Servers to the Approved Task Servers collection that are not in the Task Servers collection.
All Task Servers that are added to the Approved Task Servers collection automatically become approved.
Note: The Task Server that is created on the Notification Server is an approved Task Server even though it is not in either the Task Servers or the Approved Task Servers collection.
Note: This information was obtained from the Help Guide Document for the Altiris Task Server 6.0