How to troubleshooting Patch Management Inventories failing to process?
Step 1. Ensure the Patch Plug-ins are current with the current SMP / Altiris Agents; location detailed on KM: HOWTO56242: Step 2.
Step 2. Ensure the client is not in need of a reboot: TECH127365
Step 3. Ensure the client has consumed a Patch License: HOWTO59456
- Ensure the client's Patch License consumption is in order and the client is receiving the Patch Microsoft Vulnerability Analysis Policy package: TECH170397
- Ensure the client's Patch License is consuming as detailed for PM 7.5.x & 8.0.x; Windows System Assessment Scan: Step 6: HOWTO56242
- Ensure the targeted filters are in order for the Software Update Plug-in Install & Upgrade Policies; turned on and deploying
- Ensure the targeted filters are in order for the Patch Install Tools;
Step 4. Ensure the PMImport is current
- The PMImport is the foundation of Patch Inventories; ensure there are no hung tasks running:
- View Troubleshooting PMImport on KM: TECH166778
- Even if all is in order on PMImport Page; it may be failing Revise Software Updates Task:
- View 'Currently Running Tasks' report found in KM: HOWTO54534 or KM: HOWTO52986 to see if it is hanging on Revised or Downloading Updates
- If running tasks are hung for PMImport or Revise Software Updates; review steps outlined on KM: TECH144662 to truncate bloated Task Tables and KM: TECH209754 to clean up orphaned tasks
- Ensure the Vendor List holds the desired Software to be reported on and the version of the Software is not excluded:
- If the Client is vulnerable to an update from a vendor via the Software Scan, yet that Software/Version is disabled on the PMImport > Vendor List; the Client will not scan for Compliance/Vulnerability for that Software as it doesn't exist in the Windows System Assessment Scan logic replicated from the SMP's Catalog Data.
Step 5. Clear the Server-side data hash for Patch Dataclasses: HOWTO60749
Step 6. Configure Client to trap Notification Server Event (NSE) files: HOWTO4191
- These files can be later viewed with Notepad following a Patch Inventory Scan
- Copy / Paste these files onto the Management Server into the default location: C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\NSCap\EvtQFast folder.
- Watch the logs to see if these files are failing to process with errors
- Note: Right-click / Open with > Notepad - ensure the file type is not associated with the Notepad.
- The NSE should display the update name and data confirming the update IsInstalled / IsAppplicable.
- If there is a problem generating the NSE's for Patch Management or sending them to the Management Server; lies outside Patch Management Solution, and could be a corrupt Altiris Agent, in which an uninstall / reinstall of the Altiris Agent may be in order to resolve this issue.
Step 7. Force a scan of the Patch Management Inventories: HOWTO58971
Step 8. Review troubleshooting Patch Report inaccuracies: TECH167291
Rate this Article