Technical Support cases often require extra information to understand a situation and progress a case to resolution. Typically this information would be product configuration and operational log files as well as system settings and environmental information. Technical Support also provides product specific tools to gather information from a customer environment for use by Technical Support. This document covers the various methods available and provides links to specific instructions. All customer uploaded data has to be associated with Technical Support (8 digit) case number for tracking and auditing purposes.
These methods can be used to upload a small number of files direct to an existing Technical Support case.
- Direct file upload to an existing case via the MySymantec web portal using existing SymAccount credentials.
- Direct file upload to an existing case via a web portal, using temporary credentials provided by Technical Support.
- File transfer during an active Webex support session.
- Command line sftp or Filezilla GUI transfer to a designated folder using credentials provided by Technical Support
Please contact your technical case representative, if unsure about which method to use. File size limits apply to browser and web portal uploads of greater than 4GB. Please use sftp or Filezilla or one of the product specific methods listed below for larger configurations.
Product specific methods
These file transfer methods are integrated to work with specific product sets.
- SymDiag - For Symantec products including, Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) and Symantec Data Loss Prevention (DLP)
- eDiscovery Platform powered by Clearwell - Please contact your support representative.
What information to provide
Only information directly relevant to the Technical Support case at hand should be provided. Product, network and operating environment configuration files, log files and error messages that span the time of the problem are also relevant. Please contact your technical case representative, if unsure about which files to send.
Do not normally send this type of information (by these methods)
Please obtain specific agreement from a Symantec technical representative before sending any of these classes of data:
- Malicious code samples (see this link for such submissions). Suspicious files attached to Technical Support cases will be deleted unexamined for security reasons.
- Password files (encrypted or not)
- Databases or files of financial, sensitive, classified or personal information
- Extended log files that are outside of the time band of the issue being worked
- Very large files over 100GB.
How provided data is used to progress technical support cases.
Customer provided support data is used to understand and progress technical support cases. It may be shared between product technical analysis and product engineering departments worldwide. Data is also used to understand how our products operate in customer environments. Customer product configurations and situations may be reproduced inside a support laboratory. Log files may be processed and elements extracted and used in case and training notes. Specifically collected network performance data may be processed by AppCritical. Anonymous data and other derived works may be used for research and training purposes. Data provided for specific cases is normally off-lined within 20 days and archived for up to 6 months from the first closing of a case.
Links for specific methods:
Customer portal administration assistance with accounts and passwords
Customer portal uploads direct to a case
Filezilla GUI based file transfer software (provided by 3rd party)
psftp Command line software for Windows x86 (provided by 3rd party)
Virus submission portal
Rate this Article