How can I add an entire folder of files to my installation?
You can add the entire contents of a directory to an installation or use wildcard filters to add only specified files in the directory. Also, you can link a directory that you add to the installation so that it is dynamically updated when the source directory changes.
- Select Installation Expert > Files or Web Files page.
- From Current Feature, select a feature or condition. (Because any item you add must be assigned to a specific feature; you cannot add an item when All Features is selected.)
Items that you add to a feature are installed on the destination computer only if the feature is installed. Items that you add to a condition are installed only if the feature is installed and the condition is true.
- In the upper-left list box, select a directory whose contents you want to add.
- In the lower-left list box, select a directory where you want to add the contents.
- Click Add Contents. The Add Contents dialog appears.
- Complete the dialog:
Dest. Directory: Enter the name of the installation directory that will hold the contents of the directory you're adding. If you don't enter a directory name, the contents are added to the directory that's selected in the lower list box.
Include Wildcards, Exclude Wildcards: To add or exclude files based on specific criteria, enter a semicolon-delimited list of wildcards. Wildcards apply only at the moment you click OK in this dialog unless you also mark the Update installation check box below. (Example: Enter *.EXE for all .exe files. A ? represents any one character.) If you leave the wildcard fields blank, all files in the directory are added. Groups of wildcards appear in Include Wildcards, which you can edit.
Include Subdirectories: Mark this to add all the subdirectories within the directory you're adding. The wildcard settings and update installation settings apply to the subdirectories also.
- Update installation as files are added or removed from source directory.
- Mark this to dynamically update the installation when the contents of the directory you're adding change on your computer. Otherwise, the wildcards apply only at the moment you add the directory.
If you link a directory using this check box, and if files originally added by the wildcard are now missing, a Wildcard Deleted Files dialog appears when you save the installation. Click No to leave temporarily missing files in the installation.
If you mark this checkbox, each time you save the installation, it is synchronized with the current contents of the directory. If you specified wildcards, the installation is synchronized based on the wildcard criteria. If you included subdirectories, those directories are updated also. If you don't mark this check box, you can turn automatic updating on later by using the Wildcard Details dialog. Click OK.
The contents of the directory in the upper left list box are added to the directory you selected in the lower-left list box or to the directory you specified in the Dest. Directory field. If you marked the Update installation as selected files are added or removed from source directory check box, the linked folder displays with a small magnifying glass.