Symantec supports installing the Altiris SMP Agent for Macintosh version 7.1.8280 on Mac OS X 10.8. However, with SMP 7.1 SP2, the push install requires a minor workaround for the installation to complete.
Workaround: In the 'Symantec Management Agent Install' screen:
- Highlight a 10.8 machine in the computer grid section.
- Click the 'Installation Settings' button.
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen to the 'Platform detection' section.
- Click the 'Manually select OS type' radio button.
- Select 'Mac OS X 10.7 (x86)' from the drop-down list.
- Click 'Apply'.
- The push installation logic that checks for the OS version will be bypassed and the agent will be pushed to the client.
Note that the installation package is the same package for all versions of Mac OS X so the version of Mac OS X selected is of no import.
Note that all manual installations using the aex-bootstrap* will work the same as on any previous version of Mac OS X.
Note that Mac OS X 10.8 will be fully supported in the push installation process in a subsequent release.
Note that (Deployment Solution) imaging for Mac OS X 10.8 is not yet supported.
Note that (pcAnywhere) remote control for Mac OS X 10.8 is not yet supported.
Note that existing filters will not recognize 10.8 as a valid version. To manage Mac clients running Mac OS X 10.8, please clone appropriate 10.7 filters and modify the cloned filter's expression operand 4 from "10.7" to "10.8". The cloned filter(s) can be used in any report, policy, etc. including the agent targeted settings policies.
If you have further questions about this, please contact Symantec technical support or product management teams.