- Is the server (axengine.exe) located on the computer with the new IP Address?
- How are the client computers connecting or dealing with the computer in question?
First show the connections used and then work on the solutions.
- The AClient/Dagent computer makes direct contact to the Altiris eXpress Server service (axengine.exe).
- Next the server connects to the database express.mdf for status and jobs to send to AClient.
- Console talks to the Database directly and to the AClient only in remote control.
- BootWorks Embedded/hidden partition/PXE connects to the Share for job executables.
How are AClient, BootWorks, and PXE connecting to the server?
- Direct IP—Set up the Direct IP on your transport page of the server
- Multicasting—AClient searches through a multicast to find a server.
The issue if the Server service computer is the one changing IP is the direct IP connection for client computers agents BootWorks/PXE and AClient.
Edit PXE boot images/ Boot Disk:
Browse to Program Files(x86)\Altiris\eXpress\Deployment Server\PXE. There are 3 files that hold the server IP address that will need to be changed. PXEManager.ini, PXE.ini, and RPC.ini. Once you find ever instance of the previous IP address, change it to the new one and save. Repeat this for all 3 files.
Update BootWorks/PXE Boot image: AClient/Dagent will change the way BootWorks/PXE connects to the Altiris eXpress server Service (Axengine.exe) to match its own settings.
- For PXE boot images: In the Deployment Server Console> Tools> PXE Configuration> highlight boot image (Winpe/Linux) and select "Edit"..Select Edit Boot image and again 'Edit bottom left...go through the Wizard and verify the new IP address of the Deployment Server. Finish the Boot image and create a new updated boot image...
- For Boot disk: Edit Boot Disk from Deployment Server Console> Tools > Boot Disk creator: Edit boot disk and create a new configuration. You may need to update yoru USB/DVD/Hidden partitions with the new configuration.
Now for the suggested steps for the change using direct IP to connect the clients to the Deployment server component: If IP address has already changed and clients are grayed out follow the last step in article.
- Choose all computers in the console.
- Right-click on them and choose Change Agent Settings (AClient/Dagent).
- Choose the Production Agent.
- Either change the IP address to the new IP address of the server (this will cause lost connectivity until the server is changed) or if the network allows multicast signals, change it to multicast to find the server and supply the name of the server to attach to.
- Click OK.
- All AClients/Dagents will receive the job and disconnect to make changes, they will either reconnect when choosing Multicast or stay grayed out until the necessary IP address change is made to the server computer.
- Change the IP of the SERVER computer.
If changing the IP address does not work with reconnecting the Agents back to the Deployment Server or the IP address has already changed and they statyed grayed out the only quickest way is to resend the updated file to the agents...
Run the following SQL query against the Deployment Server database: This will collect the ipaddress of all the clients manage from the Deployment Server database
SELECT '-c:' + n.ip FROM computer c, nic_interface n
WHERE n.ip != '0.0.0.0' AND c.computer_id = n.id
Right-click on the results and the click Select All.
Right-click on the results again and click Save As.
Save the file somewhere that you can find it, and call the file clients.rci. Make sure that the file is saved with an .RCI file extension.
Close the SQL Managment Console:
From Deployment Server Console after IP change:
Run the Remote Agent Installer (from the DS console under Tools > Remote Agent Installer).
Go through that wizard configure the AClient properties as follows:
Set Connect Directly to this Deployment Server. Make sure the IP address is correct
Disable Refresh connection after idle.
Enable Save log information to a text file.
Enable Log errors.
Enable Log informational messages.
Enable Log debugging information.
Set Maximum log file size to 500 KB.
Disable Forward Wake-On-LAN packets.
Disable Forward Deployment Server discovery multicast packets.
Configure all other settings the way you want them.
When you reach the last step right before you click Finish, click Import.
Browse to the .RCI file that you created from the query.
Click Open and then Finish.
If you receive an error not able to import the list...open in Excell or notepad and make sure there are no orphaned records of IP address.
All lines should have an Ip address of a client you are managing. If so, delete the record C: and move the line up.
Also verify the IP address in PXE.ini, PxeMgr.ini, RPC.ini, and Default.cfg have the correct IP Address. Shut down all the DS services prior to changing the IP address.
Rate this Article