How do you create a new Asset using the Barcoder receiving function?
This tutorial is intended to demonstrate how to create a new Asset, such as a computer, using the Barcoder receiving function. This walkthrough will show how to add the serial number to the asset during the receiving process.
Prerequisites for the tutorial are listed below:
- Barcoder (the Barcode Solution handheld component) is installed on a supported handheld.
- A valid barcode to scan.
- On the handheld, tap the Start button, go to Programs and run Altiris Barcoder. Your handheld screen should now look like this:
- Tap the Receiving menu item to go to this screen:
- Set the Asset Type field to Computer:
- Change the scan mode from quick scan, to direct scan by tapping the second icon from the left, at the bottom of the screen under the word Receiving:
- Enable the Serial No field by placing a check in the check box, then tap within the Serial No text field to set the cursor to this field:
- Populate the Serial No field with the computer's serial number; this can be done manually or by scanning the computer's serial number label:
- Change the scan mode from direct scan, back to quick scan, by tapping the second icon from the left, at the bottom of the screen under the word Receiving:
- Scan the computer's barcode label.
The last step will populate the Barcode field at the top of the screen and create a new computer with both the barcode and serial number.
Note: As shown in this tutorial, to enter additional data, such as a serial number, the given field's data must be populated before the barcode is scanned.