How do I create a minor upgrade?
Windows Installer has three methods of updating an application: a major upgrade, a minor upgrade, and a small update. Use a major upgrade to make a large change that warrants a full version upgrade. A minor upgrade is a minor version change such as adding a few new files or making many small corrections. Use a small update when making a few minute changes that do not warrant a version change.
Note the following required modifications for a minor upgrade:
Upgrade Code: Same as previous version
Package Code: Changed from previous version
Product Code: Same as previous version
Version Number: Changed from previous version
Follow these steps to create a new .MSI for a minor upgrade:
- Make a copy of the previous version of the .WSI or the .MSI, and give it a unique file name.
- On the Product Details page in Installation Expert, change the Version number to reflect the update.
- Add new files and registry keys into new components on the Components tab in Setup Editor in order for the upgrade to work properly.
- Change source paths of existing files on the Files page in Installation Expert if updated source files are in a different directory. Select a file in the lower-right pane of the Files page and click Details. Click Browse to populate the Source Pathname field with a new location.
- Make any other desired changes to the new .MSI or .WSI.
- Save and compile the new installation.
To fill out the Upgrades page:
- Go to the Upgrades page in Installation Expert.
- Select Add. Browse to the previous version .MSI and select Open.
- Make sure the previous versions are within the Minimum Version to Maximum Version range. (Use the Include Minimum Version or Include Maximum Version when necessary.)
- Check Exclude Languages in list if you do not want to update the Languages versions that are specified in the Exclude Languages list.
- Populate Features to Remove with the names of the features from the previous version that you want to remove. (This is case sensitive and you cannot remove the Complete feature.)
- Leave the Action Property set to the default value.
- Mark Continue installation after a remove failure to continue the installation, even if it is unable to remove one or more features of the installed application.
- Mark Migrate feature states to retain the feature states of the installed application during the upgrade.
- Mark Do not uninstall previous version to keep the previous version of the application on the destination computer when the upgrade is installed. This lets the end user have two versions of the application installed.
- Click OK.
Distribute the minor upgrade as a patch or as a full installation, depending on whether your end users have installed the previous version of the .MSI.
Imported Document Id