During the upgrade to IT Management Suite (ITMS) 7.5 from the previous versions of ITMS with Dell Management Console (DMC) 2.0.x (2.0.0 - 2.0.3) component installed, Symantec Installation Manager automatically uninstalls DMC 2.0.x, due to End-of-life of DMC 2.0.3 in ITMS 7.5. Note: These instructions are not intended for use with ITMS 7.1. A future update may later be added to this article with 7.1-specific instructions, however.
The goal of this document is to provide DMC customers instructions for manual integration with Dell OpenManage™ Essentials (OME) for meeting the hardware management requirements.
Additionally, it contains information on the issues, which may appear after upgrade to ITMS 7.5 and on the clean up procedure to ensure smooth post-upgrade management of Dell servers.
Integrating Dell OME into existing ITMS infrastructure
To Integrate Dell OME into existing ITMS infrastructure, complete the following steps:
- Install Dell OME on any computer that does not have a Notification Server role.
- Copy the OME_links.zip file to the Notification server and extract it to the root directory, creating the DMC folder.
- Run the ReplaceString.bat file in Command Prompt, using the following parameters:
replace the OME_Real_Hostname_or_IP parameter with the hostname or IP address of the computer with Dell OME installed. While running this script, the Configs folder will be created inside the DMC folder.
4. Copy the ImportItems.bat file to the Configs folder, and then run the copied file with administrative rights.
The ImportItems.bat script contains the path to which Notification Server is installed by default: C:\Program Files\Altiris\Notification Server\. If the installation path was modified, make the corresponding adjustment to the SET NS_BIN_DIR parameter of the ImportItems.bat script.
5. When you complete these steps a new Dell OME Console item will become visible in the context menu for every resource in the console. Expanding this item displays the following links:
- Show resource details
- Show resource in OME
These links open a new browser tab, displaying the information about a resource in the Dell OME Console. In case information is not available for a specific resource, Dell OME Console home page will be displayed with general information.
Dell OME Console requires the latest version of the Microsoft Silverlight installed on the Notification Server.
Show resource details
Show resource in OME
Additionally, a new Dell OME Console menu item appears on the Symantec Management Console Home menu, which opens Dell OME Console in a new browser window.
Forwarding alerts to Symantec Management Platform Event Console
To set up forwarding Dell hardware alerts to Symantec Management Platform (SMP) Event Console refer to the following document:
The Unrecognized Alert status is displayed for Dell hardware alerts, forwarded to SMP Event Console.
Cleaning up DMC-related items after upgrade to ITMS 7.5
DMC utilizes Dell specific data class and database fields, which may lead to the following issues after upgrading to ITMS 7.5:
|Unable to upgrade plug-ins||
It is impossible to upgrade the plug-ins on the devices, discovered as Dell Computers. NS fails to load inventory for these devices. The following errors are written in the NS log file:
|Resource manager issues||
Devices continue to be displayed as Dell Computers in Resource Manager.
Dell Warranty for Computers, iDrac Console and Telnet for Servers continues to be displayed on the Tasks menu.
The following trace level records are written in the NS log file:
|Log errors for Agentless Inventory tasks||
The following errors are written in the NS log file for devices that are discovered as Dell Computers:Message dispatch failed for: from: e5d554c6-1b01-4bb7-a2f4-fccb5a66de7f, to: 'Inventory for Network Devices Capture Item' (f66308ac-4db4-492c-9604-f774f332fc34) Altiris.NS.AeXClassActivatorException (Altiris.NS): Unable to load assembly. Assembly: DMC.DMCInventory
Customers upgrading from an environment with DMC component version 2.0.x are required to perform a clean up procedure after upgrading to ITMS 7.5 to resolve the above mentioned issues and ensure Dell servers are fully operational after Symantec Management Agents upgrade on these servers.
To clean up DMC-related items after upgrade to ITMS 7.5, complete the following steps:
- Extract the contents of the DMC_CleanUp.zip archive to any directory on the Notification Server.
- Run the PFInstaller.exe file with administrative rights.
- In the PFInstaller dialog box click Install Files.
- Re-run the PFInstaller.exe file with administrative rights once again.
- In the PFInstaller dialog box, on the Mode menu click Full.
- In the expanded PFInstaller dialog box, click Stop Services. After the stop services task is finished, click Start Services to complete the procedure.
The procedure progress is logged in the C:\DMCCleanUp.log file.
Which Dell products work with different versions of the Symantec Management Platform?
2.png (132.5 KB)
3.png (259.3 KB)
4.png (103.8 KB)
5.png (205.5 KB)
6.png (114.1 KB)
7.png (129.9 KB)
8.png (36.2 KB)
DMC_CleanUp.zip (23.8 KB)
OME_links.zip (7.3 KB)
Rate this Article