How do I setup SSL to work with Barcode Solution?
First SSL needs to be setup on the Altiris server. The following related article describes how to do this for Windows Server 2003. (This is only for Windows Server 2003; for new operating systems, please refer to your network administrator).
How to easily setup an SSL connection on a Windows Server using SelfSSL.exe (testing only)
Once the Altiris server is setup to use SSL, configure the handheld device so that it recognizes the SSL certificate.
- Using Active Sync or Windows Mobile (depending on the operating system of the workstation where the handheld device is to be used at), open the File Explorer to be able to navigate to the handheld device's file system.
- Copy the CA cert (<filename>.cer) file to the handheld device's C:\Windows folder.
- From the Run prompt on the handheld (refer to the handheld's user guide for instructions on how to do this), run "CERTINST \Windows\<filename>.cer". The handheld's File Explorer may also be able to be used for this.
- A message is shown showing that the certificate installation was successful.
- SUPPORT INFORMATION: Installing and enabling the CA cert file to work on the handheld device is the responsibility of the user or their network administrator. Symantec Technical Support is unable to help troubleshoot this, as this is not part of the Barcode product.
- Depending on the certificate, different installation instructions to a handheld device may be necessary. Refer to your network administrator or handheld device's manufacturer for more information.
- To test the certificate, run Internet Explorer on the handheld device and then attempt to connect to the Altiris server, https://<servername>/Altiris/Console. This should work and then prompt for credentials. If this fails to work due to certificate problems, then the certificate is not set up correctly to work. Refer to your network administrator for further assistance.
- In some cases, a CA cert file may not be necessary to be placed on the handheld device. In general, if the workstation is required to have a certificate, than so is the handheld device, as it is basically another workstation in itself.
- Once IE works with the certificate, try next to use Barcode using "Connect using SSL". This should now work, too.
Error "Login failed" or "Could not establish connection to network" occurs when trying to use Barcode on a handheld device to authenticate or sync to the Symantec Management Platform server
Error "Unable to connect to the server" when downloading data to barcode device
How to troubleshoot the network connection that Barcode Solution uses
Imported Document Id