When checking the status of the Symantec AntiVirus service, you notice that the service appears to be starting or stopping. When you try to change its state, it does not change. You may see error message 1053, "The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."
Before you begin: If you are running Windows 2003, read the document Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition Server service stays in "Starting" status on Windows Server 2003 (32-bit) to fix the problem.
Restart the Intel Alert Handler service, and then stop and start the Symantec AntiVirus service. If the problem persists, continue with the "To solve the problem" section of this document.
To solve the problem
- In the service's property sheet, on the Log on tab, make sure that the Local System account is enabled.
- Uninstall Symantec AntiVirus.
- Delete the following folders, if they exist:
- \Program Files\ Common Files\Symantec Shared\VirusDefs
- \Program Files\NAV
- \Program Files\NAVNT
- \Program Files\SAV
- \Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus
- \Program Files\Symantec_Client_ Security\Symantec AntiVirus
- In the Registry editor, delete the following registry key if it exists:
- Navigate to the following key:
- In the right pane, delete the AVENGEDEFS value if it exists.
- Install Symantec AntiVirus.