"This package is not signed with a valid Symantec Signature. This Intelligent Updater package cannot continue installing."
"This package has failed the digital signature check. Please re-download it from the Symantec Web site."
Some Microsoft® operating systems need to be updated to enable the use of these digital signatures. Follow these steps to update the operating system's certificate store. With some older operating systems, such as Windows® 98 and Windows NT® 4.0, it may be necessary to configure Internet Explorer to reach the Internet, in case other certificates need to be updated, as well.
To update the Windows root certificate
- Go to the Windows Update Web site.
- In the left pane, click Administrator options.
- In the right pane, click Windows Update Catalog.
- Click Find updates for Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- Select your operating system (for example, Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition)
- Click Advanced search options.
- In the search box, type certificate
- Click Search.
- Click Recommended Updates.
- In the Recommended Updates list, locate Root Certificate Update, and then click Add.
The Root Certificate Update summary states that the update includes root certificates from VeriSign, Thawte, and post.trust in Ireland.
- Click Go to Download Basket.
- Click Browse, and save the file to a location on your hard drive.
- Go to the file location on your hard drive, and click rootsupd.exe to install the update.
If you have Windows NT and this does not work, then you may need to manually install the certificate in the local computer's certificate store.
For more information on this update, read the Microsoft article Root Certificates Update.
Symantec now digitally signs the Intelligent Updater and Rapid Release virus definitions for added security. To ensure that the files you receive come only from Symantec, the following items are digitally signed:
- All 32-bit updaters
- All "split disk" updaters
(yyyymmdd-###-i321.exe, and yyyymmdd-###-i321.zip through yyyymmdd-###-i325.zip)
- All 64-bit updaters
( yyyymmdd-###-i64.exe files)
- The "all-inclusive" updater
- The Rapid Release definitions
(Symrapidreleasedefsi32.exe and Symrapidreleasedefsx86.exe)
Imported Document Id