This document helps you find out whether your firewall prevents LiveUpdate from downloading updates.
Confirm that the correct ports and protocols are available for LiveUpdate
Make sure that the firewall allows the LiveUpdate executable to connect to the Internet through the correct ports and that the firewall allows connections to the correct domains. Read your firewall's documentation or contact the manufacturer to find out how to confirm these settings.
- LiveUpdate connects over TCP ports 80 (HTTP), 21 (FTP) and 443 (HTTPS).
- The file that connects to the Internet is LuComServer_*_*.exe in LiveUpdate 2.5 and later and Lucomserver.exe in LiveUpdate 2.0 and earlier.
The default folder for this file is C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate.
- LiveUpdate connects via HTTP to the domains symantec.com, liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com, liveupdate.symantec.com.
If a connection fails, LiveUpdate tries to connect to one of the other listed domains. The listed domains may change because of server maintenance.
If LiveUpdate cannot make an HTTP connection, LiveUpdate connects via FTP to update.symantec.com/opt/content/onramp.
Note: Symantec does not supply IP addresses for Symantec LiveUpdate servers. Because the servers are not static, routing directly to an IP address may cause LiveUpdate to fail.
Download a Livetri.zip file to troubleshoot possible corruption
- Download the current Livetri.zip file from the Symantec LiveUpdate Web site: http://liveupdate.symantecliveupdate.com/livetri.zip
If you cannot download this file, confirm that your firewall does not block this site. LiveUpdate cannot download updates until you fix this problem.
- Open the Livetri.zip file with Notepad.
- If a firewall modified the file, an administrative alert may be visible in plain text or the file may be empty.
- If the file is unreadable, open the file with a zip utility.
- Confirm that the Livetri.zip archive contains the following files:
If any of these files are not present, the archive is corrupted or is not the correct file.
If all of these files exist, the Livetri.zip file is not corrupted, and a firewall did not modify the archive.
The file name LuComServer_*_*.exe will reflect the actual version of LiveUpdate, i.e. LuComServer_3_3.exe for LiveUpdate 3.3.
Imported Document Id