How do you manually restore communications between a managed Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 MR1 and 11 MR2 client and the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager version 11MR1 and 11MR2.
Warning: The below solution is for Symantec Endpoint Protection version 11 MR1 and 11 MR2 only. For version 11 MR3, see page 57 of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Administration guide for version 11 MR3.
If you are using versions of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 or newer, please refer to HOWTO55039.
The SylinkDrop tool and Sylink.xml can be used to switch an unmanaged client to managed. In the following example we work with the Temporary group. These same steps can be used to place clients in other groups you have created by replacing Temporary with the name of the group you want the client to belong to.
To copy the Sylink.xml from the Temporary group folder to the client
- In Windows Explorer on the computer that runs Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager, browse to C:\Program Files\Symantec\Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager\data\outbox\agent\.
In this location, there are two or more folders with 32-character alphanumeric names. Each folder represents a group in your Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager site. Inside of each folder is a file named LSProfile.xml.
Do not edit LSProfile.xml. Any edits to the LSProfile.xml file is not recommended or supported, and can cause serious communication problems.
- Open the LSProfile.xml file in one of the group folders, and find the XML tag:
<GroupInfo Name="X" where X is the name of the group.
- Find which LSProfile.xml file specifies "Temporary" as the group name.
The folder that contains that file is the folder that represents the Temporary group.
- In the Temporary group folder there is a file named Sylink.xml. Make a copy of that file and move it to the desktop of the client that you want to be managed.
To use the SylinkDrop tool to apply the Sylink.xml file
- Copy the SylinkDrop.exe file to the desktop of the client you want to be managed.
This tool can be found on CD 2 of the Symantec Endpoint Protection 11 installation files, in the folder "\TOOLS\NOSUPPORT\SYLINKDROP". It can also be obtained from Symantec Technical Support.
- Double-click SylinkDrop.exe.
- When prompted to select a Sylink.xml file, select the Sylink.xml you saved to the desktop.
Note: SylinkDrop.exe does not provide a progress indicator. Upon completion, it displays a window with the text "Sylink file has been successfully replaced."
If you want to convert a managed client to an unmanaged client, please see "How to convert Symantec Endpoint Protection clients from managed to unmanaged without uninstalling and reinstalling" at http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-security.nsf/docid/2008021910355348
This document is available in the following languages:
- Brazilian-Portuguese: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/br_docid/20080820100617935
- French: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/fr_docid/20080820104040935
- German: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/de_docid/20080820104254935
- Italian: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/it_docid/20080820104339935
- Polish: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/pl_docid/20080820104412935
- Hungarian: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/hu_docid/20080820104440935
- Russian: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/ru_docid/20080820104510935
- Czech: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/cz_docid/20080820104534935
- Spanish: http://service1.symantec.com/support/INTER/ent-securityintl.nsf/es_docid/20080820104600935
Rate this Article