The Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client installation is launched. The installation fails, and the message "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor" is displayed.
This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor.
This can occur:
- When installing from a single .exe file (setup.exe) either from the install media or as a client install package exported from the SEPM. Sometimes this can occur if you try to install a 32-bit SEP client onto a dual-core 32-bit computer.
- If you are trying to install SEP on a non-supported processor like Itanium.
- If you are trying to install a 32-bit client package on a 64-bit machine, or vice versa.
- If there are operating system issues preventing the operating system from being correctly identified by the SEP installer.
If you choose not to deploy the installation via the Migration and Deployment wizard, you can install it locally directly from the .msi file. To do this, you must export a client installation package from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) that is not a single executable file.
- After logging into the SEPM, click on the Admin button.
- Click on Install Packages near the bottom of the next column, then at the top, highlight Client Install Packages.
- Under Client Install Packages, choose the appropriate base installation package for either Windows 32-bit or 64-bit. You may need to slide the Package Name column to see which is which.
- Highlight the correct client install package.
- In the column to the left, under Tasks, click on Export Client Install Package....
- Browse to the location to which you want to save the folder. The Desktop will make it easy to find.
- Uncheck the "Create a single .EXE file for this package"
- Under "Select the features you want to use", choose the appropriate feature set. (If you want to further customize your feature set, cancel out of this, click on Client Install Feature Sets, and Add Client Install Feature Set..., then repeat the above steps.) You can also add from which group to give it policies, and automatically add the computer into that group. You can also leave the default for Preferred Mode Setting of Computer Mode.
- Click OK.
- Copy the folder you saved to either a shared drive or folder you can access from the client machine, or to portable media such as a USB flash drive.
- On the client computer, copy the installation package folder to the desktop. It is not recommended to run the installation over the network or from the flash drive directly.
- Navigate into the folder and double-click on the Symantec Antivirus.msi file to launch the installation.
To install Symantec Endpoint Protection from the .msi file from the downloaded media (will create an unmanaged client)
- Click Start > Run > Browse.
- Select My Computer > CD1
- Double-click the SEP folder.
- Double click SymantecAntiVirus.msi
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
If you attempt installation from the .msi file and your processor is supported, inspect the Windows Event Viewer (Application and/or System) and verify that there are no underlying issues with the operating system. If there are, those will need to be resolved before a successful installation can occur.