You need to uninstall a Symantec product for Macintosh that is installed under Mac OS X. You have tried several methods, including manually uninstalling or running the Symantec Uninstaller without success. Alternatively, you have been referred here by a technician or from another document because running the RemoveSymantecMacFiles utility is necessary to solve a problem with your Symantec program for Macintosh.
Warning: RemoveSymantecMacFiles removes all folders created by Symantec and Norton installers and all files within those folders.
You will lose all files that reside in those folders, including any that you have created.
NOTE: RemoveSymantecMacFiles will NOT remove the Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh (SACM),
the management component for Symantec AntiVirus for Mac. Refer to TECH103534 for removal steps for the SACM.
To download and run RemoveSymantecMacFiles:
- Download RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip from the following address:
Symantec updates this tool regularly to accommodate changes introduced in newer releases of Symantec Endpoint Protection for Macintosh, so if you have not downloaded it recently, we recommend that you do so now.
- On the target computer, double-click the RemoveSymantecMacFiles.zip file that you downloaded so that the file expands. We recommend using the built-in Archive Utility to expand this file.
NOTE: To use this tool, you must be logged in to the Macintosh with an Administrator account with a non-blank password.
- Open the RemoveSymantecMacFiles folder.
- Double-click RemoveSymantecMacFiles.command (if you do not display file extensions, it appears as RemoveSymantecMacFiles). This will launch a Terminal window.
- Type your Mac OS X password, and then press return. When you type your password, no characters appear.
- Do one of the following:
- To remove all Symantec files and folders, type 1
- To quit RemoveSymantecMacFiles without removing any files, type 2
- Press Return.
- The utility RemoveSymantecMacFiles removes all files within Symantec-installed folders, even those you may have created yourself.
- On the Terminal menu, click Quit Terminal.
SymantecRemovalTool (ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/tools/mactools/SymantecRemovalTool.zip), a modification of RemoveSymantecMacFiles, is a script that is designed to be pushed out using Apple Remote Desktop. It requires no user input when run as root. As with RemoveSymantecMacFiles, all files and folders that Symantec OS X products (except Symantec Administration Console for Macintosh files) have created will be removed; therefore, you will lose all files that reside in those folders, including any that you have created manually. For more information, please see the readme file included with the SymantecRemovalTool download. SymantecRemovalTool is provided for your convenience only and is not a supported utility.