Why does the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client Installation go into continuous installation loop after I deploy the SEP client to a workstation through the Client Remote tool, or if I install the SEP client locally on the PC using the Setup.exe file?
When pushing the Symantec Endpoint Protection client software to the workstations / clients, using the Client Remote Install (Migration & Deployment Wizard), or if trying to install the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client software locally after copying the software to the computer / system in question, the setup goes into a continuous installation loop.
On screen, you see the following error -
If you click RETRY, or CANCEL, the same error persists.
You can also see the SEP client Shield Icon in the Task Bar,
but after clicking on the Shield Icon, it triggers another SEP Client installation loop.
On examining the Application Logs in Event Viewer, you find the following errors -
An additional drill down into the event logs reveals the following error -
On Closer Examination of this error, findings show the error states that the file "dec_abi.grd" does not exist in the SPManifests Folder located at "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPManifests\"
This particular error happens due to a previously Failed and / or Corrupt installation of the Symantec Endpoint Protection Client on the system in question
To resolve this issue, please folow the given steps -
1. Stop all running Symantec Services. (otherwise you will face another another installation loop.)
2. Download and run the Windows Install Cleanup Utility, and remove the entry for Symantec Endpoint Protection from the MSI cache.
3. Reboot the system.
4. Copy the file "dec_abi.grd" from any system where the SEP Client is already successfully installed, and / or copy this file from the "data1.cab" file located on the Symantec Endpoint Protection CD1.
5. Download / copy the file "dec_abi.grd" and save it to the location "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SPManifests\" on the system facing this issue.
6. Run the Installation for the Symantec Endpoint Protection client again and wait for the installation to complete.
7. After successful client installation, reboot the system once again and you will see the successfully installed Symantec Endpoint Protection Client.
Imported Document Id