The Symantec Ghost Client boots into the Virtual partition but fails to connect to a session, producing Error 10030, "Unable to establish connection with session." The Ghost server or Ghost Console is running McAfee VirusScan 8.0 or later.
McAfee VirusScan has a feature called Access Protection. By default, this feature blocks access to services for IRC on ports 6666 - 6669. Symantec Ghost uses ports 6666 and 6667 for file transfers. When a client tries to connect to a Ghost server running McAfee VirusScan, the error message appears. To fix this problem, Ghostsrv.exe needs to be added to McAfee's Access Protection exclusions list.
To exclude the IRC Access Protection feature
- On the Symantec Ghost Server, right-click the VShield icon in the system tray and select VirusScan Console.
- In the task list, click Access Protection.
- Click on "Anti-virus Standard Protection" on the left hand side.
- Click on the Rule "Prevent IRC communication"
- In the Excluded Processes box, type the following text: GhostSrv.exe
- Click Apply and then OK.
- Close the VirusScan console.
Note: If the above steps do not fix the problem, exclude the Ghost Database (Dbserv.exe) and the Ghost Configuration server (Ngserver.exe), and try again.
Note: If your computer is managed by iPolicy Orchestrator(ePO), the above instructions must be applied through ePO. If not, any changes made to an ePO managed machine will be overwritten.
Disabling McAfee or disabling it will not unblock the necessary ports. The IRC exceptions must be added.
Imported Document Id