You want to know if Symantec Ghost can be used to image or restore data on a Redundant Array of Independent Drives (RAID) array.
NOTE: For starters, check the document 'How can you tell if Ghost Solution Suite will work to capture or restore an image of a server using a RAID array?' available at http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH110337.
Symantec Ghost 11.5.x and later can work with hardware level RAID as well as some software RAID configurations, although software RAID is not supported:
- While Ghost Solution Suite using WinPE has many storage drivers included, it is not possible for Ghost to supply every possible driver available. In some cases, the customer will be responsible for getting the correct mass storage driver added to the WinPE environment
- In some cases, The Ghost Console may be able to image RAID. But in the event of an issue, a WinPE boot disk with the correct controller driver must be used.
- Only RAID 0 and 5 can be used with Deploy Anywhere and only with boot disks.
- Only Ghost32 and ghost64 can be used with RAID and the RAID disk complies with all of the following conditions:
- The disk is accessible from the host operating system.
The pre-OS must be Windows Pre-installation Environment (WinPE).
*The ability to successfully back up types of RAID other than 0 or 5 depends on the specific computer model, driver controller, hard drive, and RAID implementation.
*With Ghost Solution Suite you may be able to image RAID level other than 0 and 5 with Volume OS imaging. You can only use Volume OS imaging with boot disks. Volumes are listed in Ghost as drives starting with the number 80. You will need to create and restore your images from volumes only - You cannot image RAID other than 0 or 5 via drive or partition imaging.
Use these instructions for imaging or restoring a hardware RAID array with GhostCasting:
- Create a bootable Windows PE CD or DVD with the appropriate RAID drivers
- Start a GhostCast Server session on a central computer.
- On the client computer, boot to the Windows PE disk and run Ghost32 or Ghost64.
- Join the GhostCast Server session to image or restore the drive.
- Run an integrity check on the image.
NOTE: Symantec Technical Support for Windows PE is limited to the use and troubleshooting of Ghost. Support is not offered for configuring or troubleshooting Windows PE operations outside the functionality of Ghost. The information below is provided "as is" and questions about Windows PE or the process used to create a Windows PE disk should be directed to Microsoft.
Imported Document Id