You applied the latest LiveUpdate to your Ghost Console computer and have noticed that clients are appearing multiple times in the Default Machine Group. This duplication can continue until all of your Ghost Licenses have been used.
Multiple copies of a single client appear in the Default Machine Group.
The root cause of this is how the code was treating the case when no UUID was present. By itself no probems occur with the current product since the newer clients almost always detect a machine UUID correctly, even on hardware and OS combinations where older clients did not retrieve one (specifically Windows XP, on machines which store the SMBIOS data block outside addressable physical RAM). In this case the newer server working with the older client (which did not present a valid UUID whereas the current client did) was creating conditions that were being misinterpreted as a client with a different UUID.
First, run a Refresh Configuration task on the affected client computers. If the problem persists after running a Refresh Configuration task, you may need to uninstall/reinstall the Ghost Console Client:
- At the client, uninstall the Ghost Client software from Add/Remove Programs.
- At the Ghost Console, delete all entries of the duplicated client from the Default Machine Group.
- You may be able to use the script located in c:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\scripts\delclient.wsf to remove all entries
- If delclient.wsf fails to remove the client from the database, manually browse through the machine group and delete all entries of the client you find
- From the Ghost Console, copy client.msi from c:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost\ClientInstall to the desktop of the affected client computers.
- At the affected client computers, double-click the client.msi file and follow the prompts to reinstall the client software.
In addition to a manual uninstall/reinstall of the client software, you can also use a Windows login script that performs the uninstall/reinstall in an automated manner. For more information on using login scripts to deploy the Ghost Console Client, see the documents How to use a login script to install the Ghost Client and How to install the Ghost 8.x/11.x client.
Symantec development has provided replacement files from certified build 2269 (and any later builds) that fix this problem. These files can be obtained from Symantec Technical Support. The files that are required are the ngserver.exe and the ngctw32.exe. These files are only for those that have updated their Ghost Solution Suite to the LU5 (build 2266). Applying these files to any other build can cause damage the program.
- Replace (or Rename and replace) the old files in the C:\Program Files\Symantec\Ghost folder (unless a custom installation was performed) with the new files.
- Reboot the system.
- Run a Refresh Configuration task from the Ghost Console to the Client machine(s) to update them.
Imported Document Id