The initial installation fails with LUCHECK 206 in SEP_INST.log
MSI (s) (8C:04) [09:27:13:894]: Invoking remote custom action. DLL: C:\Windows\Installer\MSIECDE.tmp, Entrypoint: InstallLiveUpdate
LUCA: InstallLiveUpdate enter.
LUCA: InstallLiveUpdate : CreateProcessAndWait( LUCHECK.EXE ) returned 206
CustomAction InstallLiveUpdate.479D9157_6569_48B2_97C9_6F35A45064AC returned actual error code 1603 (note this may not be 100% accurate if translation happened inside sandbox)
Action ended 9:27:34: InstallFinalize. Return value 3.
Conflict with legacy product installations, incorrect permissions for LuComServer, or invalid folder redirections.
1) Perform manual uninstall of previous SEP install.
Manual uninstallation documents for Symantec Endpoint Protection
2) Delete C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ (Windows XP, 2003)
3) Delete C:\ProgramData\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ (Windows Vista, 7, 2008)
Solution A) Invalid folder redirections
Windows 7 makes use of internal links and redirections that may not be understood by legacy installations and legacy software. To accommodate this, please check the settings that Windows 7 uses to determine certain folder locations within the operating system itself. Confirm that the settings are pointing to actual physical folders.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\AppData:
- Change the value=%APPDATA% to value=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming
Check any registry entries located in the key HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\ pointing to a folder has %USERPROFILE% as part of the value.
(Note: Verify the physical folder or folders exists, \Users\Default\AppData\Roaming, before finishing the renaming process. In addition, verify the value of the other keys located within the AppData folder, they all should be alike.)
5) Right-Click ‘Run as Administrator’ and run Setup.exe
Solution B) Incorrect permissions for LuComServer
- Start - Run - Dcomcnfg: Component Services, Computers, My Computer, DCOM Config, LuComServer,
- Select Properties, Identity tab
- Select the "This user" option
- Choose a Local Administrator account. Use the Browse button if necessary; the account name must be prefixed by machine name to be recognized.
(Note: If you have not installed LiveUpdate before the installation of Symantec Endpoint Protection, LuComServer will not exist in DCom Config.)
Imported Document Id