In the course of troubleshooting an issue on an Apple Mac computer, the Support representative has asked for technical information about the computer. There is not currently a SymDiag Tool for Mac, but the GatherSymantecInfo tool described below can be used with all Symantec Products on Mac.
On a Mac computer, the GatherSymantecInfo tool will gather technical information specific to Symantec products.
- Download the tool from here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/tools/mactools/GatherSymantecInfo.zip
- Place the file on the Mac client and double-click it. It will expand the GatherSymantecInfo.command file as well as a folder called SupportFiles.
- Double-click on GatherSymantecInfo.command. It will open a Terminal window.
- Enter the administrator password (it will not echo on-screen) and press Enter.
- On the "Please enter the subscription key..." window, press Enter to bypass this screen. A subscription key does not apply to Symantec enterprise antivirus applications.
- Gathering information... will appear.
- When completed the Terminal window will indicate that the information was gathered and saved to the desktop (SymantecInfo.txt and SymantecInfo.zip, which is simply SymantecInfo.txt in a zip archive). Quit the Terminal application. (See below.)
Please send the SymantecInfo.zip file to Support for review.
The following information is shown in this report:
1. Installed Symantec product info
2. /Library/PrivateFrameworks/SymSharedSettings.framework/Tools/SymSharedSettingsd -V
3. Symantec content info
4. Symantec processes in memory
5. Symantec kexts in memory
6. Contents of Symantec Info.plist files
7. Files in Symantec's support folders
8. Expected links in /
9. Files in /private/tmp
10. Files in /private/var/tmp
11. Contents of /private/etc/liveupdate.conf
12. LiveUpdate date file info
13. Subscription info
14. Corporate files in /Users/Shared
15. Contents of Symantec plist files in /Library/LaunchAgents
16. Contents of Symantec plist files in /Library/LaunchDaemons
17. Contents of loginwindow.plist files
18. Symantec crontab entries
19. Shut down times as reported by PrintShutDownTimes
20. Proxy info via system_profiler
21. system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep -iv 'serial num\|part num'
22. Last 20 lines of "/Library/Application Support/Symantec/Daemon/error.log"
23. Last 600 lines of system.log
24. CrashReporter logs
25. LiveUpdate log
Gathering a System Profiler report may also be beneficial. Follow the instructions provided on the Apple document below to save the report:
Using the System Profiler
OS X: About System Information and System Profiler
Before saving, under View, ensure "Full Profile" is selected. File format is fine to leave at System Profiler (XML).