In the course of troubleshooting an issue on a Macintosh, the Support representative has asked for technical information about the computer. Since there is not currently a Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) Support Tool for Macintosh, what is an alternative tool used for this purpose, specific to Symantec.
The GatherSymantecInfo tool will gather technical information specific to Symantec products.
- Download the tool from here: ftp://ftp.symantec.com/misc/tools/mactools/GatherSymantecInfo.zip
- Place the file on the Mac client and double-click it. It will expand the GatherSymantecInfo.command file as well as a folder called SupportFiles.
- Double-click on GatherSymantecInfo.command. It will open a Terminal window.
- Enter the administrator password (it will not echo on-screen) and press Enter.
- On the "Please enter the subscription key..." window, press Enter to bypass this screen. A subscription key does not apply to Symantec enterprise antivirus applications.
- Gathering information... will appear.
- When completed the Terminal window will indicate that the information was gathered and saved to the desktop (SymantecInfo.txt and SymantecInfo.zip, which is simply SymantecInfo.txt in a zip archive). Quit the Terminal application. (See below.)
Please send the SymantecInfo.zip file to Support for review.
The following information is shown in this report:
1. Installed Symantec product info
2. /Library/PrivateFrameworks/SymSharedSettings.framework/Tools/SymSharedSettingsd -V
3. Symantec content info
4. Symantec processes in memory
5. Symantec kexts in memory
6. Contents of Symantec Info.plist files
7. Files in Symantec's support folders
8. Expected links in /
9. Files in /private/tmp
10. Files in /private/var/tmp
11. Contents of /private/etc/liveupdate.conf
12. LiveUpdate date file info
13. Subscription info
14. Corporate files in /Users/Shared
15. Contents of Symantec plist files in /Library/LaunchAgents
16. Contents of Symantec plist files in /Library/LaunchDaemons
17. Contents of loginwindow.plist files
18. Symantec crontab entries
19. Shut down times as reported by PrintShutDownTimes
20. Proxy info via system_profiler
21. system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep -iv 'serial num\|part num'
22. Last 20 lines of "/Library/Application Support/Symantec/Daemon/error.log"
23. Last 600 lines of system.log
24. CrashReporter logs
25. LiveUpdate log
Gathering a System Profiler report may also be beneficial. Follow the instructions provided on the Apple document below to save the report:
Using the System Profiler
Before saving, under View, ensure "Full Profile" is selected. File format is fine to leave at System Profiler (XML).
Rate this Article