In the course of troubleshooting an issue on an Apple Mac computer, the Support representative has asked for technical information about the computer. There is not currently a SymDiag Tool for Mac, but the GatherSymantecInfo tool described below can be used with all Symantec Products on Mac.
On a Mac computer, the GatherSymantecInfo tool will gather technical information specific to Symantec products.
- Download the tool from here: GatherSymantecInfo.zip
- Place the file on the Mac client and double-click it. It will expand the GatherSymantecInfo.command file as well as a folder called SupportFiles.
- Double-click on GatherSymantecInfo.command. It will open a Terminal window.
- Enter the administrator password (it will not echo on-screen) and press Enter.
- On the "Please enter the subscription key..." window, press Enter to bypass this screen. A subscription key does not apply to Symantec enterprise antivirus applications.
- Gathering information... will appear.
- When completed the Terminal window will indicate that the information was gathered and saved to the desktop (SymantecInfo.txt and SymantecInfo.zip, which is simply SymantecInfo.txt in a zip archive). Quit the Terminal application. (See below.)
Please send the SymantecInfo.zip file to Support for review.
The following information is shown in this report:
1. Installed Symantec product info
2. /Library/PrivateFrameworks/SymSharedSettings.framework/Tools/SymSharedSettingsd -V
3. Symantec content info
4. NAV 12 virus definitions manifest (engine.mfst)
5. NIS 6/NFM 7 definitions' libecomlodr.dylib, definfo.dat and usage.dat files
6. Application versions (CFBundleShortVersionString) in /Applications
7. Symantec processes currently running
8. Symantec kexts currently loaded
9. All processes currently running
10. Locale information
11. User home folders information
12. Definitions avdefs group check
13. VerifySignedFiles - Apple signing verification
14. Symantec Error Reporting
15. Contents of Symantec plist files
16. Files in Symantec's support folders
17. Expected links in /
18. Items in /
19. Permissions of /usr/local folders
20. Files in /private/tmp
21. Files in /private/var/tmp
22. Contents of /private/etc/liveupdate.conf
23. LiveUpdate date file info
24. Subscription info (LiveUpdate 5 and earlier)
25. Corporate files in /Users/Shared
26. Contents of plist files in /Library/LaunchAgents
27. Contents of plist files in /Library/LaunchDaemons
28. Contents of loginwindow.plist files
29. Crontab entries
30. Shut down times as reported by PrintShutDownTimes
31. Proxy info via system_profiler
32. system_profiler -detailLevel mini | grep -iv 'serial num\|part num'
33. Last 20 lines of SymDaemon logs
34. Sampling of SymDaemon
35. Licensing logs in /Library/Application Support/Symantec/Licensing
36. Licensing logs in /Library/Application Support/Symantec/Silo/NFM/Licensing
37. Licensing log: /tmp/Logs/O2Spy*
38. Licensing logs: SymantecNISCC.log in each user's /Library/Logs directory
39. Last 600 lines of /private/var/log/system.log
40. CrashReporter and other Symantec logs
41. Symantec Endpoint Protection support xml files (Sy*.xml)
42. Symantec Endpoint Protection debug logs
43. Last 1600 lines of /var/log/install.log
44. Contents of /Library/Logs/SymantecTestPatchers.log
45. LUX logs for Norton Zone
46. Java LiveUpdate log (LiveUpdate 5 and earlier)
47. LiveUpdate 6 log
48. NIS/NS 6 and NFM 7 LUX SQL log
49. NIS/NS 6 and NFM 7 DefUtils LUX log
50. NIS/NS 6 and NFM 7 Microdefs log
51. NIS/NS 6 and NFM 7 DefUtils log
52. NIS/NS 6 and NFM 7 LUX text log
53. Additional files included with this report
Gathering a System Profiler report may also be beneficial. Follow the instructions provided on the Apple document below to save the report:
Using the System Profiler
OS X: About System Information and System Profiler
Before saving, under View, ensure "Full Profile" is selected. File format is fine to leave at System Profiler (XML).
Imported Document Id