Detailed steps for a new installation of Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange (SMSMSE) on an Exchange 2007 or 2010 server
- In the extracted installation package for SMSMSE, navigate to the SMSMSE\Install folder, right click setup.exe and select Run as administrator.
- Several dialog boxes will flash briefly on the screen, followed by a page titled "Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard for Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange". Click the Next > button.
- The next page will display a "Setup Preview". Click Next >.
- The next page displays additional operations performed during install. Click Next >.
- On the License Agreement page, check the radio box for "I accept the terms in the license agreement" and click Next >.
- Select the destination folder for SMSMSE, the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Symantec. If you would like to customize the install path, click Change... otherwise click Next >.
- Choose a Setup Type. For a full installation of both server and console components, select "Complete". If you would like to install just the management console, choose "Custom" and click Next >.
- The next page lists all the system requirements. If any of the requirements are not present this page will indicate which need to be installed. Adobe Reader 8.0 is recommended to be able to open SMSMSE reports in PDF format, but is not necessary for basic functionality. If all requirements are met, click Next >.
- A warning is displayed for users of Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition. Be aware this warning applies to any real time virus scanner that monitors the file system of the server. Click OK.
- On the "Exchange Transport Service Reset Options" page choose "Yes" unless you have a reason that the Exchange transport service must not be restarted. If you do choose not to restart the service after install, you must restart the service after the installation completes for SMSMSE to function properly. After making your selection, click Next >.
- On the "Web Service Setup" page, enter the name of the server (it will default to the NetBios name, this is acceptable if filled in correctly by the wizard) in the "IP/Name:" box. In the "Port #:" box, enter the port you'd like to use for remote management of the SMSMSE server. Note: If you are using Sharepoint services on the Exchange server, the default port of 8081 will already be in use. Choose a different port, such as 8082. Click Next >.
- On the "Notification Email Address" enter an address that will be accepted by Exchange. This will be used as the "From:" address for all email notifications generated by SMSMSE. It is recommended to use a full SMTP address, for example: <user>@<domain>.com. After entering the address, click Next >.
- On the "SMTP Server Host" page, enter the IP or fully qualified domain name of the server that accepts SMTP traffic on port 25. If this is a single server Exchange deployment or Small Business server, enter localhost. Click Next >.
- If you are installing to an Exchange 2010 mailbox server, you will be prompted to enter user credentials for an account to use as the SMSMSE service account. For details on permissions required for this account, see 'Permissions considerations for the Symantec Mail Security for Microsoft Exchange service account' . After entering credentials, click Next >.
- A summary of your chosen installation settings will be displayed. If all is correct, choose Next > and then Install.
- The installation will now proceed with your selected settings.