Failed in OnMessage handler of Application Inventory Task: Unable to update the specified item from the Altiris NS database.
- On a test server or another Notification Server, find the Task located under View > Solutions > Software Delivery > Configuration > Windows > Application Inventory. It is named "New Application Inventory Task."
- Note that this task must be the default Application Inventory task that comes as part of the Software Delivery installation.
- Right-click on the task and choose Export.
- Open the resulting XML file in a true XML editor (www.crimsoneditor.com)
- Search for the word NoDelete. It will be within the Attributes tags.
- Delete this so that NoDelete no longer appears within the Attributes tags. Save the changes to the file.
- Take the resulting XML file and move it to the Notification Server experiencing this problem.
- In the console of the Notification Server with the issue, browse to the same location as above.
- Right-click on the folder Application Inventory and choose Import.
- Browse to the file you moved over and choose to import it.
- There may be an error that results, but in our experience the task is now able to be deleted.
- Right-click on the task and choose Delete.
New tasks function correctly at this point as the issue has been resolved.
Windows 2003 Server SP1 on the Notification Server
Windows 2003 Server SP1 on the SQL Server (SQL* 2000 SP3)
Notification Server 6.0 SP3
Software Delivery Solution 6.1 (Hotfix 1)
Inventory Solution 6.1
Application Metering Solution 6.0