This article details how to use the Windows Preinstallation Environment (PE) to pre-install the PGP WDE driver into IBM Lenovo ThinkPad Rescue and Recovery and automatically detect the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery feature.
Note: This article pertains to a version of PGP Desktop (PGP Desktop 9.12) that has reached an End of Life (EOL) and End of Support Life (EOSL). For more information on the End of Support Life dates for PGP Software products see the following article.
This option is available only for IBM Lenovo systems running Rescue and Recovery version 3.0 and later. This option pre-installs the PGP WDE driver into Lenovo Rescue and Recovery and automatically detects the Lenovo Rescue and Recovery support. It picks up the PGP WDE driver from the \windows\system32\drivers directory. The two files installed into the IBM Lenovo Rescue and Recovery are the PGP WDE driver (pgpwded.sys) and the PGPstart.exe file (for more information on this file, see the following procedure).
Note: The ThinkVantage Rescue and Recovery software must be installed prior to running the pgppe command to install the PGP WDE driver.
The files that are required to install PGP Whole Disk Encryption into IBM Lenovo Rescue and Recovery are:
- Files from pgppe tool: pgppe.exe, pgpstart.exe
- Files from PGP Desktop installation: pgpwded.sys, pgpbootb.bin, pgpbootg.bin, pgpsdk.dll, pgpsdknl.dll, pgpwd.dll, pgpwde.exe
- Files for Windows Vista only: wimfltr drivers need to be installed (this is part of the Windows Automated Installation Kit)
Caution: Use this option only after PGP Desktop is installed on the system.
To enable Lenovo Rescue and Recovery
- Install PGP Desktop.
- Obtain and install the Windows Preinstallation Environment tools from the PGP Support KnowledgeBase.
- Copy the PGPstart.exe and PGPpe.exe files from the zipped file into your PGP Desktop installation directory (usually, C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop).
- Start a command prompt and change to your PGP Desktop directory.
- Run the pgppe command as follows:
To remove Lenovo Rescue and Recovery support
Run the pgppe command as follows:
pgppe /recovery /remove