This article details how to upgrade to version 4.4 of PGP Endpoint.
Prior to upgrading to version 4.4 of PGP Endpoint, see the following article for the supported operating systems.
PGP Endpoint Database Upgrade
PGP Endpoint 4.4 SR1 uses a new database architecture which greatly reduces the capacity required for the database and results in faster Log Explorer queries and reports.
|Note: Once you upgrade your database to the PGP Endpoint 4.4 format, it is not possible to revert to the earlier version.
You must backup your existing PGP Endpoint database before upgrading to version 4.4.
After upgrading, the PGP Endpoint Application Service will begin to convert your existing data from the legacy format to the new format. This process occurs in the background, and the system will continue to function normally. Depending on the size of your database, this process may take up to several hours or even days. It is recommended that you perform Database Maintenance from the PGP Endpoint Management Console prior to backing up the database to reduce the size of the database prior to conversion.
To upgrade the database
- Backup the database (from SQL Server Management Studio; right-click the 'sx' database and perform a full backup)
- Stop the PGP Endpoint Application Service (SXS)- From the command line, type 'net stop sxs'
- Install the PGP Endpoint 4.4 database using '\server\db\setup.exe' from the distribution.
- Confirm the logging is enabled for the PGP Endpoint Application Service before upgrading with the registry setting:
- Parameter: "log to file"
- Value: "yes"
- Install SXS using the setup.exe file.
- Install SMC using the setup.exe file.
- Confirm SXS is running (In Windows Task Manager on the Processes tab, you will see the image name 'sxs.exe'). If it's not running, you can use 'net start sxs' from the command line.
- When log conversion begins, the SXS log contains the line: "Starting Hermes log conversion process..."
Note: By default, this file is located in c:\windows\system32.
- When the log conversion process ends, SXS logs contains the line: "Hermes log conversion finished in __ days __ hours __ minutes __ seconds,"
- Each PGP Endpoint Application Service installation will help to convert the data from the old format into the new format, speeding the conversion.
- If you encounter performance issues on the machine the SQL Server is installed on, try adjusting the resource usage settings within SQL
- You can pause the conversion with the registry setting:
- Parameter: DbMigrateToHermes
- Value: no = pause migration, yes = resume migration
- You may now disable logging for the PGP Endpoint Application Service before upgrading with the registry setting:
- Parameter: "log to file"
- Value: "no"
- Run the stored procedure 'dbo.sx_IndexCleanup' from within SQL Server Management Studio (located in sx\Programmability\StoredProcedures). The SQL Server Management Studio Express tool can be downloaded here.
- Write down the new DB size as above.
- Shrink the database (Right-click 'sx' and select Tasks\Shrink and check Reorganize).
PGP Endpoint Application Server Upgrade
- Since PGP Endpoint 4.4 utilizes a new licensing structure and therefore requires a new license file, you must replace the existing one present on all PGP Endpoint Application Servers. Copy your new license file to windows\system32 or windows\SysWOW64 folder and name it 'Endpoint.lic'.
Note: If you have an existing license file in either of these directories it is recommended to make a backup of it and remove it.
- Run \server\sxs\setup.exe from the installation files.
- Refer to the Setup Guide or Quick Setup Guide for details on each of the installation steps and options.
- Confirm the PGP Endpoint Application Service is running (In Windows Task Manager on the Processes tab, you will see the image name 'sxs.exe').
- If the service is not running, you can use 'net start sxs' from the command line.
- If the service continues to not start running, confirm you have the new license file in place.
PGP Endpoint Management Console Upgrade
- Upgrade the PGP Endpoint Management Console using \server\smc\setup.exe from the in the installation files.
- Refer to the Setup Guide for details on each of the installation steps and options.
PGP Endpoint Client Upgrades
The client installation files are located in the \client folder of the installation files. These same files will upgrade existing clients if they are version 4.1 or newer. There are several options available for deploying the client, including our own deployment tool located in the \bin\deploy folder. Please refer to the Setup Guide for full details on client installation.
Versions of the client older than 4.3.1 will have to be uninstalled before the 4.4 client can be installed. Refer to the Setup Guide for installation details after uninstalling the older client.