This article details the Learn Mode feature of PGP Universal Server 3.x.
After installing and completing the Setup Assistant for PGP Universal Server, the server is placed by default in Learn Mode. In Learn Mode, the PGP Universal Server processes messages are using the mail policy, but none of the actions from the policy are performed. Messages are neither encrypted nor signed.
This functions as a rehearsal, so that you can learn how policies would affect email traffic if implemented. While running in Learn Mode, the PGP Universal Server also creates keys for authenticated users so that when Learn Mode is turned off, the server can secure messages immediately.
Purpose of Learn Mode
Learn Mode allows you to:
- View (by examining the logs) how policies would affect email traffic if implemented.
- Build the SMSA (creating keys for authenticated users, for example) so that when the server goes livewhen Learn Mode is turned offthe server can secure messages immediately.
- Identify mailing lists your users send messages to and add their addresses to the dictionaries of Excluded Email Addresses. Most likely, users won't send encrypted messages to a mailing list.
In Learn Mode, the PGP Universal Server:
- Creates user accounts with user keys, in accordance with Consumer Policy.
- Decrypts messages using internal and external keys stored on the server, but does not search for keys externally.
- Follows Mail Policy, but does not encrypt or sign messages.
- Will not apply mail policy to messages, and will not take any Key Not Found action on messages.
To disable Learn Mode and have the server and process messages through the mail policy exception chain the PGP Universal Server must be licensed.
Imported Document Id