The Symantec Endpoint Protection (SEP) client shield in the tray has a red circle over it after getting the message pop up "ccApp.exe The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)" when logging on.
Opening SEP to the Status page, shows 'No protection technologies' installed.
ccApp.exe The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022)
- 0xC0000022 means STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED .
- Provide the needed permissions for 2 shared DLL files.
- Ensure READ permission is granted for the group(s) trying to access them.
There are a two known reasons for this issue:
1. User permissions are not Microsoft default.
2. Profile corruption
The above two items are indicated when logging on to the same system with the Administrator account, the SEP shield displays correctly with the green dot.
Verify The User account permissions on the following items:
A) Using cacls.exe, edit the Access Control List (ACL) for the following two dll files:
B) Steps to change User permissions required:
1. Open a cmd prompt: Start > Run > CMD
2. CD to the folder "\windows\system32"
3. At the command prompt "<System Drive>:\windows\system32", type the following:
cacls.exe msvcp71.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:
cacls.exe msvcr71.dll /E /G BUILTIN\Users:R
Steps (B1 - B3) gives read permission to Users when accessing these items (A.1) and (A.2).
If the issue persists with the User account, review the following two Microsoft documents of User profile corruption:
1. Fix a corrupted user profile
2. How to copy data from a corrupted user profile to a new profile in Windows XP
Windows XP SP3
SBS Windows 2008 server
Imported Document Id