You are not able to remove Symantec Scan Engine from Add/remove programs.
Symantec recommends uninstalling Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine 5.x through Add/Remove programs or the Start menu.
To Remove Symantec Antivirus Scan Engine manually on Windows based computer.
- On the Windows taskbar click Start > Program > Administrative Tools > Services.
- In the right pane, right-click Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine service > Stop.
To edit the registry and remove the Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine keys
- Exit all programs.
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start > Run.
- In the Run dialog box, type the following:
- Navigate to the following registry keys:
- Remove Symantec Scan Engine keys from the registry:
WARNING : make a backup of the registry keys before deleting them.
- Open the registry the registry editor.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Symantec
- If no other Symantec products are installed remove the sub-keys under Symantec
- If other Symantec products are installed: remove the Symantec Scan Engine string from the “InstalledApps” key.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services
- Remove the symcscan key
To remove Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine files and folders
- On the Windows taskbar, click Start >
- Navigate to the following locations, right-click each, and then click Delete.
<Drive>\Program Files\Symantec\Scan Engine
<Drive>\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Licenses -- Only delete if no other Symantec program installed.
<Drive>\Program Files\Common Files\Virus Defs -- Only delete the Virus Defs folder if no other Symantec program installed.
NOTE: In case these folders cannot be removed (because they are still in use), reboot the machine and try again
In some cases it might be necessary to follow a few extra steps to ensure a clean uninstall.
Remove Symantec Scan Engine remnants from the Installer folder:
From C:\Windows\Installer, remove all files and subfolders that refer to Symantec Scan Engine.
If the folder Installer is not visible, do the following:
WARNING : It is recommended to keep the Installer folder hidden!
- Go to the File menu
- Select Tools
- Select Folder Options
- Select the tab View
- Uncheck “Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)”
- Click “Yes” for the warning that appears.
- Click “OK”
- The folder Installer should now be visible
Clear the Temp folders from Symantec Scan Engine-related files
In case a reinstall is considered, clear the Temp folders from Symantec Scan Engine traces. These temp folders can typically be found in
C:\Documents and Settings\<Logon account>
Reboot the computer.
Imported Document Id