After purchasing or OSRestoring a Symantec Messaging Gateway (SMG), what are the general steps for an initial set up?
Command Line (CLI) Installation before the Control Center Web Wizard initiates:
1. Log on to the CLI using an SSH client with the user: admin and credentials
2. Choose a new password
3. Enter the FQDN of the SMG (hostname.domain.topdomain)
4. Specify timezone. GMT0 is 28
5. Specify the IP and subnetmask
6. Specifiy if to use the second Ethernet interface for outbound email
7. Choose to configure a static route if needed (default is No)
8. Specify Gateway
9. Specify DNS
10. Choose to specify an alternative DNS
11. Specify the role of the SMG. Either "BCC only", "Scanner only" or both.
12. Verify the installation with Yes. This will reboot the SMG.
13. Verify all the services/daemons start up with OK status and then log on to the Control Center web interface to start the Web Wizard
1. Log on to the Control Center https://fqdn:41443/brightmail to start the web wizard
2. Accept the agreement
3. Install the License. In case there is a proxy choose this here as well.
4. Specify the administrator email address
5. Specify the Time manually or choose an NTP server
6. Specify System Locale settings for example English-UK and Quarantine Fallback Encoding for example Western European ISO-8859-1
7. Specify Inbound and/or Outbound mail filtering. Instant Messaging is normally unchecked.
8. Verify Ethernet settings. IP address and SMTP port, normally 25.
9. Verify SMTP settings. Normally accept the defaults - "Accept inbound mail from all IP addresses".
10. Specify Local Mail Delivery - Specify the downstream mail server to where the SMG should relay all mail to by default (usually the exchange server).
11. Specify Non-Local Mail Delivery - Usually accept the default "Use MX Lookup"
12. Specify Local domains (own domain) - by default all mails will be relayed to the Local Mail Delivery host specified in step 10. Unless specified differently here as an optional route.
13. Verify the Summary - Finish.
This will complete the initial installation and setup.
Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.x
Symantec Messaging Gateway 9.x
Login to Subscribe
Please login to set up your subscription.
Get support for your product, with downloads, knowledge base articles, documentation, and more.
Maximize your product competency and validate technical knowledge to gain the most benefit from your IT investments.
Submit a suspected infected file to Symantec.
Report a suspected erroneous detection (false positive).
Set default language
Do you wish to save this as your future site?