The Altiris Deployment Server Data Manager service does not start anymore (after upgrading DS or installing another 3rd party application).
Log Name: Application
Source: Altiris Deployment Server Data Manager
Date: 9/23/2011 10:17:26 AM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Service cannot be started. System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Remoting configuration failed with the exception 'System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions
There seems to be a port conflict with another software product.
Change the port that the Data Manager is listening on using the following procedure:
Deployment Web Console (Web Console) The Deployment Web Console allows you to remotely administer a Deployment Server installation using a Web browser. The Web Console provides the options to deploy and manage Windows and Linux computers (both client and server editions) in real-time with many features present in the Deployment Console. The Deployment Web Console can be installed on any computer running Microsoft IIS Server, a computer running a Deployment Server or a Notification Server, or a remote computer running only Microsoft IIS.
To configure the 8080 and 8081 ports
1. From the Windows Explorer, select My Computer > Local Disk (C drive).
2. Run the axInstall.EXE file in the DSSetup folder. The Deployment Server Install Configuration wizard appears. Note: The DSSetup folder is created on extracting a build.
3. Select the Custom Install option and click Install.
4. The Software License Agreement dialog appears. Click Yes. The Deployment Share Information dialog appears.
5. Select the License file option and click Browse to enter the path of the License file. Click Next. The Deployment Server Information dialog appears.
6. Select the On this computer option. Note: You can choose whether you want to install the Deployment Server on a local computer or a remote computer.
7. By default, the Port is 8080. This port is used by the DataManager service.
8. Enter the Service password and click Next. The Deployment Database dialog appears.Deployment Solution 476 Network Ports
9. Click Next. The Gathering Information dialog appears.
10. Select the appropriate option, provide the authentication information and click Next. The Pre-boot Operating System dialog appears.
11. Enter the required information and click Next. The PXE Server Information dialog appears.
12. Enter the required information and click Next. The Deployment Agent Connection to Deployment Server dialog appears.
13. Enter the required information and click Next. The Deployment Console Information dialog appears.
14. Select the required option and click Next. The Deployment Web Console Information dialog appears.
15. The Console Port is 8081 by default. Click Next. The Installation Information dialog appears. Note: This port is used by the Console Manager service. You can change this port if required.
16. Click Install.
A reboot may be needed.
Windows 2008 R2
Imported Document Id