Information is needed on how to move a Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) SQL database to a new SQL server.
- Detach the Database in question from the current Instance; in SQL 2000 this is done via the "SQL 2000 Enterprise Manager", whereas if using SQL 2005 or 2008 this would be accomplished through the "SQL Server Management Studio".
- After the Database is detached, navigate to the appropriate data folder where the existing SQL server data files are stored.
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\xxxx\DATA
C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\DATA.
- Copy the following database files to the data folder on the new server you plan to house this SQL database:
- On the new SQL server, Right click on the Database instance, and click on Tasks > All Tasks > Attach Database. This will again be done through the SQL Enterprise Manager or Management Studio.
- Type the path to the <db_name.MDF> file, and the wizard will automatically pick up the other files. (.NDF and .LDF)
- Click OK. The wizard will automatically collate and attach the SEPM SQL Database to the chosen SQL Instance on the new server.
- Once complete, Run the "Management Server Configuration Wizard" on the SEPM to point it to the new server housing its SQL Database.
In the Database Server name tab, type in the <HostName>
\<InstanceName> of the new SQL server, fill in the remaining required details and complete the configuration wizard.
- Once the wizard has completed, log in to the SEPM console and confirm that the previously configured Policies and Client groups appear as expected.