When running the CMDB task "Assign Computer's Ownership to be the Primary User", this fails to work or assign the Asset Owner correctly to a computer resource due to issues with the task settings.
There are many areas that this task can fail at. The following troubleshoots issues associated with the task settings.
- An incorrect or no filter was applied to use.
a. In the Symantec Management Platform console, click on the Manage button > Jobs and Tasks.
b. Click to expand System Jobs and Tasks > Service and Asset Management > CMDB and then click on the Assign Computer's Ownership to be the Primary User task.
c. Check that the "Include filters" includes the correct filter to use. Note: Ensure only one filter is tested (not more than one picked to test) and that there are no "Exclude filters". Also, when the "Include filters" changes, this only applies to new schedules not existing ones.
d. Click on the "Save changes" button if the filter was changed.
- The filter to use does not include the correct computers.
a. In the Symantec Management Platform console, click on the Manage button > Filters.
b. Locate and select the filter that was used in Step 1.
c. If the correct computers do not appear in the list, the membership may not be updating or is set incorrectly for the expected computers. Change how the filter works or if it is not being updated, create a new Update Filter Membership task to force the update, as described in the following article:
How to create a new Update Filter Membership task to update a filter's membership
d. Additionally, a new filter can be created for testing and set to a specific computer. For example, a SQL query can be used for this in the filter:
WHERE Name = '<Computer_Name>' -- Change <Computer_Name> to be the computer to specify.
Click on the "Save changes" button. Then, update the filter's membership by clicking on its "Update membership" button. The single computer should now appear in the Filter Membership list.
- Run the task with a new schedule.
a. Once the filter has been checked in Steps 1 and 2, click on the task's New Schedule button and configure the new schedule to be Now and then click on the Schedule button.
b. After the task completes, check a computer (Manage > Assets > Manage Configuration Items > Computer) that was part of the filter to see if the Asset Owner was set.
c. If this works, create a new schedule and set this to recur as desired.
- Ensure that the user testing these instructions is logged into the Symantec Management Platform as a Symantec Administrator and has permission, if in a hierarchy, to manage the computers from the specified filter.
- Do any of the computers in the filter get their Asset Owner set or do they all fail? If some work, this indicates issues with the specific computer/Primary User.
- On the Symantec Management Platform server, open the Altiris Log Viewer. Manually run the task and then watch the log viewer for any related activity, especially error messages. Errors may indicate a more fundamental issue with the task itself.
- If the task is still failing to work and the Primary User was checked (KB TECH175085), an Altiris Profiler trace may next be needed to verify that the task is working correctly or not. Please contact Symantec Technical Support for additional assistance.
CMDB task "Assign Computer's Ownership to be the Primary User" fails to work due to issues with the Primary User
CMDB task "Assign Computer's Ownership to be the Primary User" fails to work
Rate this Article