This document outlines the best practices to upgrade to ITMS 7.1 SP2.
Click here for an overview video of this process.
NOTE: If you are looking to upgrade to ITMS 7.1 SP2 - MP1, click here.
Pre upgrade steps
Ensure you are logged onto the server as the Application Identity user account. You can verify the Application Identity user account in the console under Settings > All Settings and then navigating to Settings > Notification Server > Notification Server Settings.
- If applications on your client machines rely on DCOM, see www.symantec.com/docs/Tech109673 for important information about uninstalling and upgrading pcAnywhere 7.1 SP1
- Perform a Backup of the ITMS server and the Symantec CMDB database
- Make note of Configuration Settings (Task Server Settings / Agent Communication Settings / Policy Refresh Settings / Membership Update Settings)
- Ensure that IT Management Suite component versions match the Symantec Management Platform version.
- Be aware that Deployment Solution's automation environment is not compatible with HTTPS. Imaging and other tasks fail if HTTPS is configured for Notification Server.
- Disable hierarchy/replication (if applicable). See HOWTO21657 for instructions.
- Run the report "current replication activity" (reports/notification server management/server/replication/) and verify this report is blank. If this report returns results you must wait until all replications jobs have been completed before performing the upgrade.
- Remove NSE files from the “Bad” folders if they exist. Event Queues are located under "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SMP\EventQueue\" :
- Verify Symantec logs for existing errors or warnings (if found take note and try to resolve any errors/warnings before the upgrade).
- If you are upgrading from 7.1 or 7.1 SP1 to 7.1 SP2 then run the scheduled task "NS.packagerefresh" and resolve any warnings or errors that occur, before running the 7.1 SP2 upgrade.
- Launch SIM by right-clicking and then selecting “run as administrator”.
- Upgrade via the View and Install Update option.
Note: If you are using SIM 7.1.194 and or earlier, use Install new products option.
You must upgrade all installed products to 7.1 SP2, most easily accomplished by selecting the currently installed suite(s). See HOWTO60852“Upgrading solutions to the same version as the Symantec Management Platform (SMP)”
Post upgrade steps
- Compare Configuration Settings as noted in step 2 above
- Re-enable hierarchy/replication (if applicable) only after all servers in the hierarchy have been upgraded to the same product version
- Verify Symantec logs for errors/warnings
- Perform a database defragment of the Symantec CMDB Database (see HOWTO8589)
What are the ramifications if the install was run from the “View and Install Updates" and what are the recommendations if the SMP was updated to SP2 from the “View and Install Updates" menu?
A Customer can get into an unverified scenario. For example a customer just upgraded Inventory Solution but didn't upgrade Software Management Solution. Symantec has not tested this version mismatch. The best way to remedy this situation is to install the 7.1 SP2 Suite(s) through "Install New Products" which will ensure all installed products are updated to the same version.
In the case of Activity Center UI, without doing a suite upgrade you may not always get the latest version of Activity Center which can lead to a reduced UI functionality.
We are working with Dev to change SIM to only show hotfixes in the "View and Install Updates" section.