Unable to use S/MIME encryption with PGP Desktop.
Use the following steps to enable S/MIME email encryption.
1. Install PGP Desktop.
2. Reboot the computer.
3. On PGP Setup assistant, Select “Yes” radio button. Click Next.
4. Enter the licensing information.
5. On key Generation assistant, enter full name and primary Email address.
6. Publish the key on PGP Global Directory.
7. Open the email received from PGP Global Directory. Click on “Complete key change process”.
8. Download and import the verification key.
9. Sign PGP Global Directory Verification key.
10. Go to PGP Global Directory Verification key properties. Change trust from None to Trusted.
11. Install certificate (.cer file) on Windows into Personal certificate store.
12. On PGP Desktop, click File -> import certificate. Click on Finish.
13. Now the certificate will be tied to user’s PGP Keys. Go to user’s key where a certificate tab will appear. Right click on it. Click on Export.
14. Save and email this PEM file which contains public key of the certificate to a user who wants to send an encrypted email.
Did this article resolve your issue?
Did this article save you the trouble of contacting technical support?
How can we make this article more helpful?
Email Address (Optional)
Login to Subscribe
Please login to set up your subscription.
Get support for your product, with downloads, knowledge base articles, documentation, and more.
Maximize your product competency and validate technical knowledge to gain the most benefit from your IT investments.
Submit a suspected infected file to Symantec.
Report a suspected erroneous detection (false positive).
Create and manage cases, manage licensing and renewals, submit threats, and enroll with Symantec Rewards.
Customer and Technical Support phone numbers and hours of operation.
User-to-user forums, blogs, videos, and other community resources on Symantec Connect.
Set default language
Do you wish to save this as your future site?