How to Update the Proxy settings in the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) 12.1
There are several places where proxy information can be configured. The different locations control different communication settings on the SEPM, SEP client or related Symantec components.
1 - For Proxy server and Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager communication settings
The following steps explain how to setup the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager to use a proxy server to download content via LiveUpdate and to display certain information in the SEPM console (data from Security Response, etc.)
- Click on Admin
- Click on Servers
- In the "view servers pane" select the name of the manager under local site
- After selecting your server, in the tasks pane, click on Edit the Server Properties, a dialog box will open up
- Click on Proxy Server
- Fill out your appropriate settings and credentials for HTTP and FTP as required for access.
If a network includes HTTP proxy servers, you must establish a connection between an HTTP proxy server and Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager. The HTTP proxy server automatically connects to the Symantec Subscription Services.
2 - Proxy settings for client submissions and other external communications
- In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM) select the Clients tab, then select the group you would like to modify the proxy settings for.
- Select the Policies tab on the right hand side.
- Under Location-Independent Policies and Settings locate the Settings box.
- In the box you will see External Communication Settings.
- Click on the link and select the Proxy Server tab.
This lets you configure clients to use a proxy server for all external communications except LiveUpdate communication. You can configure a separate proxy server to use for external communications other than LiveUpdate.
3 - LiveUpdate Client Application.
Correct Proxy settings are also to be configured on LiveUpdate client application. This is the software which the SEPM uses to download the materials it needs from LiveUpdate source servers.
- Click on Start
- Click on Control Panel
- Double-click Symantec LiveUpdate. The LiveUpdate Configuration dialog box appears.
- Click the HTTP tab.
- Select I want to customize my HTTP settings for LiveUpdate.
- Select Use a proxy server for HTTP connections. Enter the IP address and port.
- In case it needs to be authorized to go out through the proxy, select that option, and enter Username and Password for both FTP and HTTP.
Note: The Username and Password for the proxy server are not the same as Internet service provider (ISP)
- Click OK.
- Repeat this procedure for the FTP tab if necessary.
HTTP settings provide LiveUpdate with the settings required to connect to the Internet through your network.
You can change your HTTP settings using either the LiveUpdate Configuration option in the LiveUpdate user interface, or by using the Symantec LiveUpdate option in the Control Panel. By default, LiveUpdate uses the same proxy server settings that you have set up for use with Internet Explorer.
4 - Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Correct Proxy settings are also to be configured under Microsoft Internet Explorer.
- Open the Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Click on Tools tab
- Click on Internet Options
- Click on Connections tab
- Click on LAN settings button
- Under Proxy Server option, enter the IP address and port.
Note: Necessary steps should be taken to Configure the proxy settings in any Default Browser being used other than Microsoft Internet Explorer.
5 - If Managed SEP clients connect to an Internal LiveUpdate Server (LiveUpdate Administrator 2.x) server through a proxy
Note: You configure proxy settings for other client communications separately.
To specify a proxy server that clients on Windows computers use to communicate to Symantec LiveUpdate or an internal LiveUpdate server
Rate this Article