When using Barcode Solution, the licenses appear to all be used up and you are unable to use Barcode Solution. Or, trying to use Barcode Solution results in the error "Barcode license exceeded", even though they should not be.
Barcode license exceeded
Barcode Solution are locked to devices and cannot be re-used until deleted.
Barcode Solution licenses become locked to the devices (handheld scanners or Symantec Barcode Console Applications on workstations) that use them. This can prevent another user from then later using Barcode in their handheld scanner or Symantec Barcode Console Application. The only way to resolve this is to either release the license or to purchase additional licenses. Note: Unlike other Altiris Console-consumed licenses, such as Asset Management or CMDB, Barcode does not release its licenses if Barcode is closed on the handheld scanner or from the Symantec Barcode Console Application.
To release locked licenses, follow the steps below:
- In the Symantec Management Platform Console, click on the Settings button > All Settings.
- Click to expand Service and Asset Management > Barcode Solution Settings.
- Click on License Usage.
- In the Devices List section, click to select the device to remove the license from.
- Click on the Delete button. The Barcode Solution license is now released for re-use.
In rare cases, this is unable to release the Barcode license. If this occurs, restart the Altiris Service, which should reclaim Barcode and other locked product licenses.
- On the Symantec Management Platform server, click on the Windows Start button > Administrative Tools > Services.
- Right click on the Altiris Service > Restart.
- Click on the Yes button.
How do Asset Management Solution and CMDB Solution licenses work?