Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) replaces Google Cloud-to-Device Messaging (C2DM) as the mechanism that is used to push data to Android applications running on Android mobile devices. This article provides instructions for configuring Symantec Mobile Security 7.2 (SMS 7.2) to use GCM.
Google Cloud Messaging (GCM) enables Symantec Mobile Security to quickly communicate with Android mobile devices. GCM lets you push commands to Android devices instead of waiting for the device to check in.
Note: To receive GCM messages, a Google Gmail is required to be set up on the devices running Android 4.04 or older.
You set up GCM in two phases:
- Create a new project at Google's APIs Web site, obtain the Project ID number, and generate a Google API server key.
- Configure Symantec Mobile Security to use GCM.
To create a new project and obtain the Project ID number and API server key
- Go to https://code.google.com/apis/console, sign into your Google account, and then click Create project…
- On the left side of the APIs Dashboard page, click the drop-down menu and select Create . . .
- Enter a name for the project and click Create Report. Your browser refreshes and displays a new URL.
- In the URL, locate the element, #project. Record the number that follows #project. For example,
- Select your project from the API Project drop-down list and then in the left pane, select Services.
- Scroll down the page to Google Cloud Messaging for Android, and set the ON/OFF widget to ON.
- On the Google APIs Terms of Service page, agree to and accept the terms of the agreement.
- Return to the APIs home page and towards the bottom of the page, click Create new Server key.
- On the Configure Server Key for My Project panel, you can optionally specify a particular server or servers that can use GCM. Enter the IP address of each server on a separate line. Leave the field blank to allow any server IP address. (Check the Google documentation for more information.)
- Click Create. The server key is displayed on the API Access page under Key for server apps (with IP locking). Record the server key string for use in the next procedure
To configure Symantec Mobile Security to use GCM
- On the Symantec Management Console, go to Home > Mobile Security > Settings > Android Configuration Settings. At the bottom of the screen, the Google Cloud Messaging Notification settings are configured.
- Enter the Project ID and Server key you generated in the previous procedure.
- Click Save changes.
- On the Symantec Management Platform (SMP) server, go to Start > Administrative Tools > Services and restart the Symantec Mobile Security Service Agent.
Symantec Mobile Security is now configured to send GCM data to Android mobile devices.