An Infoblox DHCP appliance is being used to manage the distribution of DHCP addresses to client systems. However, when the Altiris PXE(version 7.1) boot process is introduced to the DHCP environment with options 60,66,67 and 43, the client systems never receive the PXE Boot menu and will fail to complete the PXE boot process. When using Symantec recommended DHCP options (For Infoblox appliances) as mentioned in article TECH40756 and TECH43159.
PXEpreZero: PXEPreXZero error invalid DHCP option format
- Go to “Data Management” tab once you are logged in.
- Click “DHCP” tab
- Click “Network” tab
- Select the Network you want the PXE server settings implemented on
- Click the “Edit” button to open up properties of the subnet (far right column)
- Click “BootP” from the left column
- Under BOOTP settings Enter, Boot File and Next server values. (Boot File(BStrap\X86pc\BStrap.0) is the image file residing on your PXE server and Next server is IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)of the PXE server)
- Click “DHCP” from the left column, scroll down till you see the “Custom DHCP Option”
- Click + sign to add an option and pick option 43 Vendor-encapsulated-options
- Copy and paste this value “6:1:B:8:7:AA:AA:1:0A:1E:81:CE” (Notice no leading zeros except in 0A)(This HEX is an example only. The base Hex can be created using the “PXE Forced Mode Utility” in KB article HOWTO5258)
- Click “Save&close”
- Restart the services and test your client.
Symantec Support would like to thank Tanuja Shah and Giles Haney with Montgomery College in providing the information to make this article possible.
Symantec Altiris 7.1 All versions
Symantec Altiris 7.0 All Version
Deployment Solution 6.9 All Versions
Created Using InfoBlox Firmware 5.1r5-9-153574
Rate this Article