This document outlines the best practices to upgrade to ITMS 7.1 SP2 – MP1.1.
NOTE: If you are not currently running ITMS 7.1 SP2, you must upgrade to this version prior to installing MP1.1. For information on upgrading to SP2, click here.
Ensure you are logged onto the server as the Application Identity user account. You can verify the Application Identity user account in the console under Settings > All Settings and then navigating to Settings > Notification Server > Notification Server Settings.
- Perform a Backup of the ITMS server and the Symantec CMDB database
- Clear tempdb and check table sizes like the Item table for excessive items.
- Make note of Configuration Settings (Task Server Settings / Agent Communication Settings / Policy Refresh Settings / Membership Update Settings)
- Ensure that IT Management Suite component versions match the Symantec Management Platform version.
- Be aware that Deployment Solution's automation environment is not compatible with HTTPS. Imaging and other tasks will fail if HTTPS is configured for Notification Server.
- Backup the Copyfiles folder in the Deployment Share under Task Handlers. This folder is wiped during the upgrade on the NS and on all site servers. (Note, it is generally recommended that the entire deployment share be backed up, but the images folder can grow quite large preventing this. The only folder KNOWN to be a problem is Copyfiles.)
- Disable hierarchy/replication (if applicable). See HOWTO21657 for instructions.
- Run the report "current replication activity" (reports/notification server management/server/replication/) and verify this report is blank. If this report returns results you must wait until all replications jobs have been completed before performing the upgrade.
- Remove NSE files from the “Bad” folders if they exist. Event Queues are located under "C:\ProgramData\Symantec\SMP\EventQueue\" (default location – or where you have configured the bad folder) .
- Verify Symantec logs for existing errors or warnings (if found take note and try to resolve any errors/warnings before the upgrade).
- Launch SIM by right-clicking and then selecting “run as administrator”.
- Open SIM after upgrade and verify that all products are configured properly.
- Compare Configuration Settings as noted in step 2 above
- Re-enable hierarchy/replication (if applicable) only after all servers in the hierarchy have been upgraded to the same product version
- Verify Symantec logs for errors/warnings
- Perform a database defragment of the Symantec CMDB Database (see HOWTO8589)
- Restore the CopyFiles folder from the backup into the Deployment share. (Note: This issue may also occur on site servers as they are upgraded, but package replication should fix the issue as long as the source files on the NS are in-tact.)
- Move FIRM.EXE into the correct location per TECH198111
Imported Document Id