This article describes how to collect and provide data for a Symantec technical support case using the Symantec Diagnostic Tool (SymDiag), formerly SymHelp.
Note: In the latest release Symantec Help (SymHelp) has been renamed to the Symantec Diagnostic Tool (SymDiag).
Run a “Collect Data For Support” scan
- On the computer that has the problem, download and run SymDiag.
- Click I accept the EULA
- In the Home screen in the Scans section on line 2 click Collect Data For Support
- In the dialog box, check the Symantec products for which you want to collect data, then click Next
- In the next dialog box, which includes the Data Type and Debug Logging configuration sections, just click Next. Do not select any other options unless a Symantec Technical Support engineer requests it.
- For some Symantec products, an additional scan dialog may appear. Leave the default settings unchanged and click Next.
- When the scan completes, the Attach to Case page appears. Login using your SymAccount to upload the data to new or an existing case.
- Alternately, if you are running SymDiag offline or are unable to deliver the data directly to support,
- In the Attach to Case page, click Cancel to access the Save dialog
- Click Save to save the data collected to your computer. Choose this option if you plan to email or otherwise send the data using your own file transfer resources.
- NOTE: Sending data via email or a third-party file share resource is less secure. Please work with support to ensure that you can use the most secure method available.
For more information…
On how to automatically create or update a support case with data…
Create or update support cases with data collected by SymDiag
Rate this Article