In a Symantec Mobile Management for Configuration Manager environment, device users complain of lost access to email and having to enter their Exchange password again. Users may also indicate a temporary loss of any other MDM configuration profiles including, but not limited to, Wi-Fi or VPN. Under further investigation, administrators may find that many user devices experienced uninstall and install of all targeted MDM profile configurations. This behavior may have begun to occur weekly and just after upgrade to SMM for CM 7.2 SP1.
No specific error is seen related to this problem.
During the upgrade of Symantec Mobile Management, a scheduled database maintenance job is incorrectly modified causing it to purge device inventory necessary for profile stability. This purged inventory initiates reinstallation of all targeted configuration profiles at the next regularly scheduled policy evaluation.
This problem is resolved in Symantec Mobile Management for Configuration Manager 7.5.
If the environment is running SMM for CM 7.2 SP1, please implement the following steps on each SQL server hosting the Athena database:
- Open SQL Server Management Studio.
- Navigate to and expand the "SQL Server Agent" and "Jobs".
- Right-click the "Athena_Purge" job and select Properties.
- Select the "Steps" page and click Edit to modify step 1 "Run Purge SP".
- In the Command text box, change the value set for "@purgeDays=0" to "@purgeDays=30".
- Click OK to make the changes and OK again to close the agent job properties window.
At the next scheduled run of the Athena_Purge agent job, it should retain 30 days of device inventory history. This will prevent the profiles from being reinstalled.
Symantec Mobile Management for Configuration Manager 7.2 SP1
Microsoft Configuration Manager 2007
Windows 2008 R2