Starting from version 10.3.2, Symantec Encryption Desktop has discontinued compatibility with Apple Boot Camp on Macintosh systems. Therefore, upgrading Symantec Encryption Desktop version 10.3.1 or earlier to Symantec Encryption Desktop version 10.3.2 requires you to follow specific instructions provided in this document to prevent any data loss and ensure complete data protection.
This document provides detailed information on how to upgrade Symantec Encryption Desktop from version 10.3.1 or earlier to version 10.3.2 on Macintosh systems.
Apple Mac OS X 10.9/10.9.1 supports installation of Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 only and does not support any earlier versions of Symantec Encryption Desktop. Therefore, if you upgrade your operating system to Mac OS X 10.9 or 10.9.1, you must also upgrade Symantec Encryption Desktop from any earlier version to version 10.3.2 by following the instructions provided in this document.
Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.2 is not compatible with Apple Boot Camp. Therefore, you must remove the Boot Camp partition before you upgrade your version of Symantec Encryption Desktop to version 10.3.2.
To upgrade your version of Symantec Encryption Desktop to version 10.3.2:
- Boot the system to Mac OS X.
- Decrypt the encrypted disks of your system. To do this, open Symantec Encryption Desktop and select Disk > Decrypt.
- Reboot your system and keep the Option key pressed.
- Boot the system to Windows when prompted during the reboot.
- Uninstall Symantec Encryption Desktop from Windows.
- Back up your data available on Windows to avoid any data loss after you remove the Boot Camp partition.
- Reboot the system to Mac OS X.
- Back up your keys and keyrings.
- Uninstall Symantec Encryption Desktop from Mac OS X.
- Delete the Boot Camp partition. For information on how to delete the Boot Camp partition, contact Apple support. You can also find related information in discussion forums such as https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3955314.
After deleting the Boot Camp partition, you can now upgrade your version of Macintosh operating system to Mac OS X 10.9 or 10.9.1. Subsequently, you can then install Symantec Encryption Desktop 10.3.2, import your keys/keyring, and encrypt your disk.
- Macintosh system using Boot Camp with an older version of Symantec Encryption Desktop or PGP Desktop (version 10.3.1 or earlier) installed on both Microsoft Windows and Mac OS X partitions
- One or more hard disks encrypted with Symantec Drive Encryption or PGP Whole Disk Encryption
Imported Document Id