You see errors when installing or uninstalling the Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition (SEP SBE) agent that prevented you from fully installing or uninstalling SEP SBE.
Note: These instructions are for Windows operating systems, you can find instructions to remove SEP SBE from Mac operating systems here.
Remove the agent from the computer
- On the affected computer, navigate to the uninstall program for your version of Windows.
- Uninstall Symantec.cloud.
Remove the computer from the console and run uninstall tools
Deleting the computer in the console avoids duplicate entries when reinstalling the agent on the computer.
- In the SEP SBE Cloud management console, navigate to the Computers tab.
- In the list of computers, check a computer, and then click the red trash icon (e.g. Delete Computer). Alternatively, you can click the drop-down to the right of a computer, and then click Delete Computer.
- Run the tool appropriate for the computer's operating system:
- Windows Desktops/Laptops:
- Download and run the Norton Removal Tool (available at the bottom of this article), following all on-screen instructions.
- Download and run the Cloud Endpoint Diagnostic and Removal (CEDAR) tool, following all on-screen instructions.
- Windows Servers:
- Download CleanWipe from the bottom of "Uninstalling Symantec Endpoint Protection with the CleanWipe utility"
- Extract the file
- Run CleanWipe.exe, following all on-screen prompts.
- Windows Desktops/Laptops:
- Restart the computer.
Remove folders left behind after an uninstall
Delete the following folders, if they still exist on the affected computer:
- C:\Program Files\Symantec.cloud
- C:\ProgramData\Norton (I can't remove the Norton folder)
Note: "Program Data" is a hidden folder. See Show hidden files at Microsoft.com.
Also note that if you cannot remove any of the above folders, you can use the instruction on our Cannot remove folder article, and change the directory path to the folder needing to be deleted. This may also require a reboot if "System" has locked any files or folders in the requested folders to be deleted.
Remove registry keys left behind after an uninstall
Delete the following registry keys, if they still exist on the affected computer:
Note: For Windows Registry backup and restore instructions, see How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.
Reinstall the client
After you have completed the previous steps, reinstall the client on the computer.
If you receive an error that Another version of Symantec is already installed, follow the additional removal steps in this article.
Environmental considerations, Warnings, and Removal Tool Downloads
- Use CleanWipe with caution, and only when traditional uninstall methods have failed.
- In rare circumstances, CleanWipe can affect network card drivers. If this issue occurs, see How to restore network connectivity if CleanWipe removes network card drivers.
- Refer this link to download Cleanwipe tool:- http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO124983?
Norton Removal Tool
- Do not run these tools over non-console Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP) sessions; Symantec recommends that you run the tools locally.
- Use the Norton Removal Tool with caution; the tool will uninstall all Norton products on the computer that you run it on.
- Refer this link to download Norton removal tool:- https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/v60392881_EndUserProfile_en_us
- Refer to this link to download CEDAR: https://ins.spn.com/CEDAR.exe
Additional troubleshooting resources
The Microsoft Program Install and Uninstall Troubleshooter can look for problems that can stop you from installing or uninstalling a program through Add or Remove Programs, Programs and Features, or Apps and Features.
See Fix problems that block programs from being installed or removed at Microsoft.com for more information.
Imported Document Id
NortonRemovalTool.exe (905.6 KB)