This article describes how to migrate or move endpoint computers to Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition cloud (SEP SBE) from the following products:
- Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition 12.1 (On-premises)
- Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 (Enterprise Edition)
- Other Symantec or third-party products
This article assumes that you received a valid serial number for SEP SBE cloud through email. If you did not receive the SEP SBE 12.1 End of Life and Product Migration Announcement with your new serial number, please contact us.
- Before you migrate
- Migrating from the On-premises version of Symantec Endpoint Protection Small Business Edition
- Moving from the Enterprise version of Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Migrating Endpoint Protection for Mac clients
- Moving from other products
Perform the following steps before you migrate:
- Read the feature comparison and mapping list, which compares the features of SEP SBE 12.1 with SEP SBE cloud, and provides a mapping for any unsupported configuration.
- Read the system requirements.
- In the SEP SBE Management Console, remove any computer that you don’t want to migrate, including any test computers that you may have added during the trial period.
- Ensure that the endpoint computers have up-to-date virus definitions, and that they are not running high on CPU or memory usage.
- Ensure that the endpoint computers you want to migrate are online.
- Ensure that any SEP clients are at version 12.1 or later.
- In the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM):
- Remove agent password protection:
- Click Computers > Policies > Password Settings.
- Uncheck all options, and then save your changes.
- Ensure AutoUpgrade is turned on:
- Click Computers.
- Under My Company, select the group you want to migrate to SEP SBE.
- In Tasks, click Edit the group properties.
- In the Group Properties for [group name] dialog box, ensure that Disable Automatic Client Package Updates is not selected.
- Click OK.
Repeat steps 2 through 5 for each group you want to migrate.
- Remove agent password protection:
- Review the disaster recovery best practices, and back up your database and disaster recovery files.
- If you are a partner managing accounts for multiple customers, you must first convert your partner managed account to a co-managed account, and then create separate accounts for each customer. Failure to do so combines all customer endpoints into one single account.
When migrating from the On-premises version of SEP SBE 12.1 to SEP SBE cloud, the management server:
- Migrates and validates your existing policy, group, and license information.
- Replaces existing clients with cloud-managed agents.
- Converts and applies your current license terms to your cloud-managed account.
To migrate from the On-premises version
- Navigate to the SEP SBE Migration Page.
- Choose the appropriate option:
- New account - For customers without an existing cloud account, click Create Account.
- Existing account - For customers with an existing cloud account, click Sign In.
- Partner account - For partners who want to manage endpoint computers for their customers, see the migration instructions for partners.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
When moving from the Enterprise version of SEP 12.1 to SEP SBE cloud, you cannot migrate data from the Symantec Endpoint Protection Manager (SEPM), such as policies and groups.
To move from SEP 12.1 to SEP SBE cloud
- Uninstall the SEPM.
- Download and install the SEP SBE cloud agent on the endpoint computers where SEP 12.1 is currently installed.
The installer will automatically detect and start the removal process for certain Symantec and third-party products.
Uninstall any existing managed Endpoint Protection for Mac clients, and reinstall them as unmanaged clients. You do not need to modify existing unmanaged clients.
Note: As unmanaged clients, the Mac computers will not appear under Computers in the SEP SBE Management Console.
If you are migrating from a different Symantec or 3rd-party product, sign up for a free trial for SEP SBE cloud and follow the on-screen instructions.
Imported Document Id